Where do we go from here?

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
singing with drums

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by singing with drums »

Welcome to the board. I hope that you will find the support here that you need. It has been a safe place for me.
I identify with your desire to have communion more often than many of the "denominations" provide. That was something that was an issue for me, too.
My husband, a Methodist, was bothered by what he saw a lack of respect for communion that he saw whenever he visited my CoC when we were dating. That was one of my many eye-openers that the CoC and I were not on the same wavelength.
I am now Methodist too, and I have learned to appreciate the monthly communion. We do have communion for special events, if the parties so desire, at weddings, christenings, for building dedications, etc., as well as whenever folks feel that the communion ceremony would build up the community. I like that.
God is good.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Welcome to the board. I am somewhat new here as well. My advice would be to find some thing with the least amount of contradictions. Disclaimer: We are currently studying with an Orthodox church. We have been going through the class (very informal with the priest). I am surprised at how unknown the Orthodox church is here in the U.S.. I studied the history and the early writers and found a consistent faith through the centuries. I guess I say all that more to give encouragement and to maybe give you something to consider. Believe me there are quite a few things that are different and "foreign" but once my wife realized that the liturgy, that is done each Sunday, dates to the late 4th century she started to become a little more relaxed. BTW, she is having more difficulty than I am, I have been studying for 15 years. I would like to recommend a book that I did not know about it until recently. The book is "Thirsting for God: In a Land of Shallow Wells" by Matthew Gallatin. He is a former fundamentalist protestant that has converted the Orthodoxy.

I hope my comments do not seem to be campaigning for a certain path, this board is a place of support without judgment, but I really enjoyed the book and so does my hesitant wife. I hope the best for the both of you and may God bless you in your journey.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Gordie, if you have the time, you might want to go to New Paths and add to (or create) a discussion about the Orthodox church (in America). I know that a lot of people are not very familiar with it.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Eletha

Post by Eletha »

Hi, This is Eletha, I been CoC since I was a teenager. I can not begin to tell you about the trauma I have been through, just to make it short for now it was and is abuse. But I found a small community Church, which happens to have a lot of Ex-CoCs. My struggle has been to let go completely. I been spending half time at a liberal CoC and half at New Hope Community Church. They have Communion every Sunday,but this Church or congregation was started by seven EX CoC, who put there homes up for the loan to build the Church. That faith. I tool that may help with the change is going through "Steps In Freedom In Christ". If you have not gone through Freedom In Christ, I highly recommend it for healing your soul. There is a web site and books and DVD's. Leaving the CoC is trauma but being Free In Christ is Joy. Pray for guidance and wait and listen to hear and see, where God is working around and he will open away. I will be praying for you both.