Methodist Refugee

Share your personal journey of faith as a Christian. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them. To engage in discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use the "Old Paths Reconsidered" Forum.
Moogy

Methodist Refugee

Post by Moogy »

I officially withdrew my membership from the United Methodist Church a couple of months ago. I do not want to be affiliated with a denomination that condemns gays and lesbians (etc.) and refuses to ordain them or marry them. Recent rulings of the church have pushed the denomination away from inclusiveness and toward harsh punishments for those who violate the rules. I will watch with interest, since I believe the UMC will split on this issue. However, I do not expect my small country church in west Texas to change in a way that would bring me back.

I am looking at The Episcopal Church, although the drive is too far. I am also thinking about the Disciples of Christ, which is a shorter drive. For the present, I am going nowhere.

Remember this is the support section of the board, so no arguments please about gay marriage! :P
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
FinallyFree

Re: Methodist Refugee

Post by FinallyFree »

So sorry this has happened for you. I hope you will consider giving Disciples of Christ a try. If I ever left D of C, I would consider the Episcopal Church.
ena

Post by ena »

Many church groups are seeded from a central church association. They may or may not agree with what the central organization is doing. I like local autonomy. That is one place I believe the CoC is right. It is wrong so many other times. Good luck where ever you land.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I am so sorry about this, Moogy. I know your initial decision to join with the UMC was carefully thought through in the beginning.
I wish you all the best in finding a new church where you can feel comfortable.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
zeek

Post by zeek »

Moogy, I am so sorry that you and many others in the U.M.C. were forced to this decision. Thank you for taking a stand and giving more than just lip service to your principles by making this personal sacrifice for the rights and dignity of the LGBT community.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel