I have rejoined the United Methodist Church

Share your personal journey of faith as a Christian. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them. To engage in discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use the "Old Paths Reconsidered" Forum.
Moogy

I have rejoined the United Methodist Church

Post by Moogy »

I haven't been an official member of any church for some years now. After leaving the COC, I was a Methodist for some years. I have visited various denominations from time to time, but usually when I have attended, I have gone to the UMC. I don't agree with them on everything, but they don't care if people disagree. Since my retirement last year (oh, happy day!), I have become more involved socially in the small town near our place in the country. So finally now I feel "at home" enough to join a church. So last Sunday, I actually joined. I did warn the pastor that I hate committee work, so please don't ask me to do that. :P
Last edited by Moogy on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
agricola

Re: I have rejoined the United Methodist Church

Post by agricola »

We have this committee.....

That sounds great, Moogy! I hope you really enjoy it and get a lot out of attending.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

So happy for you, Moogy!! You go, girl :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
GMan

Post by GMan »

Two thumbs up!
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I thought you were Methodist Ivyrose!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Many UMC signs include the motto/quote, "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors." I like that.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

There is a Methodist Church a block and a half away from my house. When I was growing up my childhood home was catty-corner across the street from the Methodist parsonage of one of the Methodist Church's in town.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

Moogy wrote:Many UMC signs include the motto/quote, "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors." I like that.
Congratulations and blessings to you, Moogy!
I finally joined the UMC after being a very active participant for about twelve years.
From your original post, I know that you understand, "It was time."
As to the quote about openness, it spoke to me, and was further evidence that it was time.
God is good.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

My first cousin is a Methodist and goes to the Methodist Church out in Eureka. They had a woman preacher by the last name of Cain and this woman preacher preached at my aunt's funeral twenty years ago. She didn't do a bad job, just did not know my aunt very well and did the funeral to please my first cousin.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

My dear next-door neighbor was a lifelong Methodist and when he became terminally ill, he wanted a Methodist funeral. It fell to me to make sure that happened. I did my best. His church was so helpful during his illness and afterward.
Glad you have found a good church, Moogy, and may you never be asked to join a committee.