Deeper bible study

Share your personal journey of faith as a Christian. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them. To engage in discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use the "Old Paths Reconsidered" Forum.
seekingthetruth

Deeper bible study

Post by seekingthetruth »

Since I have left the coc I have noticed that my bible studies are so rich now. There is no filter blocking me from getting the deeper meaning of what I'm reading. My mind is so open that even when I'm done studying, I can't stop thinking about what I just read.
agricola

Re: Deeper bible study

Post by agricola »

I hear you. In the coc, I was very afraid to express an opinion unless I was sure it was 'right'. And there was one and only one 'right' answer!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
seekingthetruth

This topic reminds me of when I had just left the coc. I was on the old board and I kept reading from more than one person how they studied their way out. The people who said that they studied their way out seemed so confident in their decision to leave. I'm not saying that others who did not say that weren't confident, but I remember that I was so scared that I had made the wrong decision.

I'm noticing that studying the word has given me more confidence when I talk to a current member of the coc.
Opie

Post by Opie »

I think that most of the people in the CoC just accept what they are told, and continue to view what they're told through the CoC lenses. When people take off the CoC lenses and "study to show themselves approved" (a phrase that the CoC is very fond of saying), those same people start questioning and get a reputation for being trouble makers. Many of them wind up leaving the CoC. It's a little ironic that "studying to show yourself approved" can wind up making you unapproved... at least in the CoC world.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
ena

Post by ena »

Opie wrote:I think that most of the people in the CoC just accept what they are told, and continue to view what they're told through the CoC lenses. When people take off the CoC lenses and "study to show themselves approved" (a phrase that the CoC is very fond of saying), those same people start questioning and get a reputation for being trouble makers. Many of them wind up leaving the CoC. It's a little ironic that "studying to show yourself approved" can wind up making you unapproved... at least in the CoC world.
The lenses are religious eyeglasses. Narrow in view and badly out of focus.
seekingthetruth

Just a quick post to praise the Lord because He continues to deepen my bible studies. I love sitting down and thinking I’m going to study one thing in the Word, but then the Holy Spirit takes me in a completely different direction. I can tell when the Holy Spirit has shown up because my mind is reeling from the deep revelation that He shared with me. I know that I will never read whatever scripture He just illuminated the same again.
ena

Post by ena »

seekingthetruth wrote:Just a quick post to praise the Lord because He continues to deepen my bible studies. I love sitting down and thinking I’m going to study one thing in the Word, but then the Holy Spirit takes me in a completely different direction. I can tell when the Holy Spirit has shown up because my mind is reeling from the deep revelation that He shared with me. I know that I will never read whatever scripture He just illuminated the same again.
The CoC does not have a true spiritual connection. I have been out over 50 years and could not go back! The reason is that it is spiritually dead. Today I would sense it. We are given a spiritual guide and may even encounter the Lord. He very kind not in a wishy washy way. He may point you in different directions in life. I have had this happen. The guidance will be true. In that you are to test spirits as well as information. It will align with scripture. If not or it is some obscure area that is not in scripture then ignore. An example is that instrumental music is not condemned anywhere in the Bible. Many of the early Christians were Jews. The Jews have long been famous for their music and playing instruments. David was famous for his harp. There are harps in heaven see Revelation 5. I find inspiration with preachers on youtube. These are not TV preachers trying to raise 6 million dollars for a jet. Chuck Missler is good and picks details that most miss. Also John MacArthur, a Baptist has a full working knowledge of the entire bible including the Old Testament and it relevance to Christians. Google youtube grace to you and he will come up. These guys have a lifetime of study. Never heard anything in the Church of Christ that was worth even knowing. It takes more than two weeks of preacher school to learn anything. Follow your spiritual lead. I was told that God is very proud of Jesus and his sacrifice. If you accept Jesus he provides a covering that covers your sin. No lake of Fire. God sees your sin but will chose to ignore if you are covered by Jesus. Even Christians sin. You get better with practice. Those not covered by Jesus are judged under the law. No the law is not dead. Jesus said, "I come not to destroy the law but to fulfill." Paul made comments that the law is nailed to the cross but he did not know Jesus in the flesh.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:I hear you. In the coc, I was very afraid to express an opinion unless I was sure it was 'right'. And there was one and only one 'right' answer!
I know the feeling. God is very dynamic and deals with wide variety of mindsets. Humans are not all the same. He made a variety. In reality you will not totally agree with anyone. Does it really matter? Is the issue so important. Often it is not. Scriptural answers provide a guiding light against the doctrines of demons. I could point to several in our world. The resulting snarling mass would worse.