Speaking in tongues

Share your personal journey of faith as a Christian. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them. To engage in discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use the "Old Paths Reconsidered" Forum.
seekingthetruth

Re: Speaking in tongues

Post by seekingthetruth »

I know what you mean about those spirits. I encountered them all myself. The spirit of unbelief is a tough one to get over without the Holy Spirit's help. He is still working with me on that one.

On a happy note, I must say that since we have met on this website, I have noticed that things are getting much better. It is nice to meet a kindred spirit when it comes to speaking in tongues. I am praying in tongues much more than I used to, and the Holy Spirit is blessing me with a lot of insights.

Thank you again for your prophecy, it has come to pass! Slwiser wrote, "Living an over coming life is having victory over the giants as we move forward into our life with God. You will continue to find that you have more and more victory over fear." Fear is something that the enemy has always used to controlled me.

Speaking of the Holy Spirit, I have fallen in love with Him. When I was a campbellite, the only time I heard His name mentioned was when there was a baptism. I have been doing a study on Him and there is so much to learn.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I can just see Ivy speaking in tongues
It did happen but you missed it by a couple of decades, BH. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
What language was it?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:
What language was it?

I don't know.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

Seekingthetruth "Speaking of the Holy Spirit, I have fallen in love with Him. When I was a campbellite, the only time I heard His name mentioned was when there was a baptism. I have been doing a study on Him and there is so much to learn"

Back in the late 1960s when I was seeking understanding of the Holy Spirit I ask questions about Him as well. These inconvenient questions as I call them now were answered by telling me that scripture is the Holy Spirit. I knew this was not right which only made me seek more understanding. This of course was God's plan for me.

I don't know if I would get a different answer today from the CoC. The old songs we sang then, sang out understanding but most never listened to those precious songs that lead to understanding as did most never came to an understanding of scriptures that bring us into the righteousness of God either back then. Back then, one could never come to real peace and joy in the Lord from the teaching of the COC. But it is as true today as then, we need Him to give us new hearts (new life) to begin to hear His voice as He Has done for us.

The Holy Spirit leads us to a Love being perfected for Christ Jesus. How can one not love the One who gives such love to us? Being in right relationship with Christ is ever growing and since He is Infinite Love we will always have a growing love for Him even into eternity never ending. You seem to have begun well, stand fast as Paul to the end.
seekingthetruth

Has the Holy Spirit blessed you with any visions?
When I was reading a book about how the Holy Spirit speaks to us through our dreams, the author pointed out that a lot of visions happen when a person is just about to fall asleep or when just waking up. I did not know that. This has been happening to me for years. Random images would just pop in my mind just before I fell asleep. Sometimes the images were familiar, but at other times they would be of objects that I had never seen before.
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

seekingthetruth wrote:Has the Holy Spirit blessed you with any visions?
When I was reading a book about how the Holy Spirit speaks to us through our dreams, the author pointed out that a lot of visions happen when a person is just about to fall asleep or when just waking up. I did not know that. This has been happening to me for years. Random images would just pop in my mind just before I fell asleep. Sometimes the images were familiar, but at other times they would be of objects that I had never seen before.
Before your explanation of mental images I would have said no. But after, all the time. I meditate on scripture with mental images, I pray with mental images and my general thoughts are mental images many times. I do try to take these thoughts captive and test them against scripture to determine source.

For me, having this immediate relationship and clarity with God helps me from becoming to familiar with God and taking Him for granted. It makes all things new on a continuing basis. Such as Christ death on the cross. It could become old news if it were not always being renewed in my mind with more and more clarity and reality. His beauty is ever growing and more glorious everyday, well almost. Sometimes I do get distracted and He brings me back again and again. He is truly faithful when I may not be so much.

How has these visions helped you grow in Christ?
seekingthetruth

My visions has helped me to trust Jesus more. I love that He allows me to see into the spiritual realm. He said that He would send the comforter and He did. I love how the verse says, "another" comforter. He knows exactly what we need. When He sent the comforter, He sent Him with power, and seeing visions is proof of that.

Jesus was just reminding me today how satan tried to take me out of this world when I was five years old, and how He sent His angel to protect me so that I did not get one scratch on me. I have been thanking Him for that reminder. I love Him so much!

What about your dreams? Has the Holy Spirit spoken to you through those as well?
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

I do have dreams and am working to understand them. In my opinion I do not have much understanding for them.
seekingthetruth

Other than hearing from God directly, dreams are my second favorite way to hear from Him. I still have a hard time believing that the God of the universe makes the time to speak to me in this way. I used to treat my dreams like junk mail and discard them because I could not understand them. Now as I am waking up, I ask Him to help me to remember and understand them. My former mentor taught me how to hear from Him this way. I am still learning because there are so many layers about dreams to learn. He has spoken to me through dreams to warn me about danger, and to prepare me for a change He is going to make in my life. Many times, I have asked Him a question before going to bed and asked Him to answer it in my dreams, and He has. The Holy Spirit has taught me that the reason that they are in symbols is so the enemy cannot understand it. Jesus taught in parables for this reason as well. There is nothing sweeter than when the Holy Spirit blesses me with an interpretation of a dream that I have been so puzzled by.

If you really want to begin to learn about dreams, my suggestion is look up John Paul Jackson. This man was definitely led by the Spirit. He passed away about two years ago. I believe one of the reasons he could interpret them so well was because he was so deep in God's word. I have found that the more I study the word, the more I understand my dreams. Lord willing, the next time I post I will share one of my dreams and the interpretation.