Speaking in tongues

Share your personal journey of faith as a Christian. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them. To engage in discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use the "Old Paths Reconsidered" Forum.
B.H.

Re: Speaking in tongues

Post by B.H. »

When I was around 15 years old I was standing on my front porch. The porch is very small, room for only two people to stand, open the door, and come through into the house. I had my back to the door and was out looking at the yard when I felt this big push on my back making me loose balance and fall down onto the concrete sidewalk that went from my front door to the city sidewalk running next to the street. It did not hurt me but always piqued my curiosity. I wander if it was a djinn or demon trying to hurt me.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Hey B.H.,

Did you start speaking in tongues? That might help to identify which one of those that could have done that.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

gordie91 wrote:Hey B.H.,

Did you start speaking in tongues? That might help to identify which one of those that could have done that.

No, Muslims believe in miracles but we generally do not speak in tongues. We do believe their are demons though. If it was a demon it never bothered me again, at least in that regards.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
seekingthetruth

Post by seekingthetruth »

slwiser, before I post my dream, here is a little background information. Before I had this dream, my Father had recently passed away. So I really wanted to know what it meant. I already knew that it was not him speaking from the dead because Ecclesiates 9:6 says that the dead do not know what is done under the sun any longer. After the dream, I started praying that God would reveal the meaning to me.

In my dream I was getting ready to drive my car. I think it was to a job interview. The destination was a long distance. I was sharing this with my Father and he told me that he could take me there. At first I said "no" because I had my own car and I could drive myself, but he really started insisting that he should drive me there. I finally said "yes". Somehow, I realized that he would not have insisted if it was not important. I got in the front passenger seat and was just enjoying the view as he drove along the highway. I was pointing out interesting things that I was seeing to him. I don't remember him saying much because he was so focused on the road. Then after a long drive, we arrived at the destination. I was so relaxed and happy.

The Holy Spirit's interpretation: My earthly Father in the dream represented my Heavenly Father. The long trip represented my life's journey. The job interview represented my life's purpose. God insisted on driving me because since He created me, He knows all the roads to take, and He knows how to get me there safely and on time. The Holy Spirit also told me that I am always to be the passenger and allow Him to always to be the driver in my life. He will focus on the road so that I can just enjoy this life's journey.

God used my Father's image because He knew that would really get my attention, and I would really want to know what it meant. He also knew that would make me keep asking until He told me. The Holy Spirit also told me that this dream's overall message is not just for me, but for everyone who is seeking His guidance.

God loves us all so much that He wants to help us to be successful in this life. Not man's idea of success, but His. We are all His children and like a good and loving parent, He wants to help us so that we don't end up stranded on some road, or wandering in a desert for 40 years.

Isn't God awesome? It has been years since I had this dream, but it is still so vivid in my mind.
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

"Isn't God awesome? It has been years since I had this dream, but it is still so vivid in my mind."

Absolutely awesome beyond comprehensive and why we struggle so much, our flesh (carnal man) wants to remain on the thrown of our lives. It is impossible to see how loving He is without having a new heart, being brought from death to live by His power. Your dream and interpetation paints a beautiful picture of our Father in Heaven.

Our Father in heaven told the Isrealites to go out each day early to gather manna. Waking up after having a dream from God with understanding would be a good portion for Your daily bread and a great way to start any day. Notice also He speaks everyday during creation. I doubt that if we had ears to hear that He would be silent very long each day for us. For us to walk as Christ walked we need an ear to hear what He is saying each day. My definition of faith, I stole it from somewhere :D !
seekingthetruth

Wow! Comparing dreams from God with the manna that He provided to the Israelites was so profound! That spoke so deeply within my spirit. It even made me do a study on manna. The real manna probably tasted so good, and you know that God blessed it to have no calories! Now, every morning I thank Him for the spiritual manna that He has given me through dreams. Even if He does not give me the interpretation, they are still a gift from above!

I wanted to share with you that the Holy Spirit has prompted me to pray in the spirit more, and the benefits are so cool. I have to be ready with a pen and paper because He will just drop some wisdom into my spirit that is so powerful. Also, I am going through something really tough right now, but after praying in the spirit, I feel so strong. It makes me think of the verse in Jude, "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost."

Speaking of the Holy Spirit, have you ever been formally introduced to Him? I have. Back when I was a still a campbellite, I went to this apostolic place of worship. As the choir was singing, I started to feel some "spiritual stirrings," but like a good campbellite, I suppressed them. Then I went back there about eight months later. Just before I went into the auditorium, I felt this strong gust of warm air hit me right in the face. I had never felt anything like that before. After I found a seat, I started crying and could not stop the whole time I was there. I had absolutely no idea why I was crying. I was there about three hours. I learned from being a girl all my life, that usually when tears flow for a long period of time, my eyes get really puffy, but that time that did not happen. That was amazing! I talked to a friend years later that is Pentecostal and he told that it was the Holy Spirit saying hello.
seekingthetruth

slwiser, I need to apologize to you about my last question about if you were formally introduced to the Holy Spirit. I was not saying that you have not been formally introduced to Him. You have been. I have just been remembering a lot of things lately about Him, and I did not express my thoughts the right way. I am so sorry.
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

seekingthetruth wrote:Wow! Comparing dreams from God with the manna that He provided to the Israelites was so profound! That spoke so deeply within my spirit. It even made me do a study on manna. The real manna probably tasted so good, and you know that God blessed it to have no calories! Now, every morning I thank Him for the spiritual manna that He has given me through dreams. Even if He does not give me the interpretation, they are still a gift from above!

I wanted to share with you that the Holy Spirit has prompted me to pray in the spirit more, and the benefits are so cool. I have to be ready with a pen and paper because He will just drop some wisdom into my spirit that is so powerful. Also, I am going through something really tough right now, but after praying in the spirit, I feel so strong. It makes me think of the verse in Jude, "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost."

Speaking of the Holy Spirit, have you ever been formally introduced to Him? I have. Back when I was a still a campbellite, I went to this apostolic place of worship. As the choir was singing, I started to feel some "spiritual stirrings," but like a good campbellite, I suppressed them. Then I went back there about eight months later. Just before I went into the auditorium, I felt this strong gust of warm air hit me right in the face. I had never felt anything like that before. After I found a seat, I started crying and could not stop the whole time I was there. I had absolutely no idea why I was crying. I was there about three hours. I learned from being a girl all my life, that usually when tears flow for a long period of time, my eyes get really puffy, but that time that did not happen. That was amazing! I talked to a friend years later that is Pentecostal and he told that it was the Holy Spirit saying hello.
There is so much in the study of the Isrealites journey in the wilderness that can apply to my life long walk with the Lord. One sin I always need to be concern with seems to be presumption where I hope I am walking after Him, when an action may be coming out of my soul instead of my spirit where He dwells. Always going back over the fruit of the spirit usually keeps me from becoming unbalanced in my actions. See Gal. 5 for what results from presumption (carnal) and walking after the Spirit. Becoming to "familiar" not respecting His Glory and Honor leads into presumption. When I come into His presence I want my Father to know I respect Him as the God of Eternity as well as being my Abba Father.

Another expression of presumption is when I assume I may not need Him in some small corner of my life. It is in those corners of my life that can become strongholds if ignored where I can become blind to Him. If a stronghold is set up being filled with the Spirit is no longer easy for then I have walled off part of myself from Him. Hearing Him becomes much more difficult. If allowed to remain, I may forget about that area, a sad potential.

Praying in the Spirit will become second nature to you as it has for me. This is where I warn myself about presumption. I don't want to presume upon His infinite love or goodness.

Have I been introduced physically as you stated, no I can't say I have had such an experience. What I can say is this expression about being introduced can be applied to me when in prayer when He moves me to pray in certain times with tears and crying in joy. This can be much like His making me aware of His immediate presence in my life.

Concerning your last posts, no apologies needed.
seekingthetruth

I'm so glad that you are not offended. I was so worried about that. My comment sounded kind of arrogant when I thought about it later. I was puzzled why God had me to remember my initial meeting with the Holy Spirit. I now know the reason after praying in the Spirit. He wanted to show me that I had quenched the Spirit back then. I did not even realize that until now. You had shared in an earlier post how when you were a teenager your heart was so open to Jesus. Whereas, I was so rebellious that I needed a "road to Damascus" meeting with the Holy Spirit to really open my eyes. God is showing me this now not to condemn me, but to show me that since I was following a false christ that led me to allow the enemy control so that I would quench the Spirit. He was also showing me that when He has put me on a path, I need to follow it. I might run, but I cannot hide from Him.
Also, I am ashamed to say that I had a history of visiting apostolic/Pentecostal places of worship just to make fun of their behavior. Wasn't that awful? It was a source of entertainment for me. I think that it is no coincidence that both of my initial meetings with the Holy Spirit occurred at one of these places of worship.

A question for you. Why are you so worried about presumption? God knows your heart. We are under grace,which is so wonderful. Of course, grace does not mean we can go crazy, but He wants us to not get hung up worried about every little sin. The Holy Spirit will let you know when you have crossed the line. That is just one of His 70 plus jobs, and He does it so well. This is one of the reasons why dreams are so important. They tell us what we need to work on and about any strongholds we have. The Holy Spirit will not let you forget.
An example of that by my dreams is when I had a dream about physically fighting with a close relative. I asked my mentor what the dream meant and she said it was because I had an issue that had never been resolved and the Holy Spirit was saying that it is time to fix it. Well, I decided I wasn't ready to do that then. About two months later, I had essentially the same dream, but this time the person was beating the stuffing out of me. I knew this dream meant that I was allowing the situation to get the best of me. I know that if I had continued to ignore the dreams, He would keep sending them until I was obedient. That is why He sends people recurring dreams. He wants us to be spiritually healthy. That is just one way that He shows His love for His children.

Just make sure that it is not an old campbellite habit that you never got over. I still struggle with that myself. Until I studied the subject of grace, I was always worried about my spiritual condition from moment to moment. I have come to realize that every 1000 spiritual miles, I need a grace tune-up or I will slip right back into my old campbellite ways. When I start doing things out of obligation, I know that I have forgotten about grace. So I start reading and meditating grace scriptures and asking God to bless me with a fresh and deeper understanding of grace. When I started praying in tongues I fell hard because I had read that the more you pray in tongues, the more helpful it will be. So I thought if 30 minutes is good, I'm going to increase the time by hours, and then I spent more energy watching the clock than enjoying being in the throne room.
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

SeekingTheTruth "A question for you. Why are you so worried about presumption? God knows your heart. We are under grace,which is so wonderful."

You are very correct in the grace we have and the peace He provides. My long time relationship with our precious Lord has been and is wonderful. But I don't want to think I take His love for granted. This could lead me into complacency in the relationship. Complacency in any relationship can be deadly. It may not impact His love for me but it can impact how I respond to Him. This is part of my attempting to take captive any thought that may keep me from realizing HIs wonderful love for me.