A Question for Agricola

Share your personal journey of faith or skepticism. Ask about other Paths. This is a place for Support and Agreement only.
agricola

Re: A Question for Agricola

Post by agricola »

Remember I said Hebrew words work and build from a system of root consonants?

The Torah is written in Hebrew - and like basically ALL ancient Hebrew (and most modern Hebrew also) it is written without any vowels.

As you can see, Sefaria declines to translate it at all, but simply transliterates the traditional vocalization of the words, and, in fact, this version is vowelized text (the traditionally understood text as spoken has had the vowel markings ADDED - in the form of dots and dashes above and below the actual letters:

וַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־מֹשֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם׃

And God said to Moses, “Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh,” continuing, “Thus shall you say to the Israelites, ‘Ehyeh sent me to you.’”

The LETTERS for 'ehyeh' are Alef, Hey, yod, hey. in MODERN Hebrew, that would be 'I WILL BE'
But Biblical Hebrew handles verb tenses differently - it is one of the relatively few differences between modern and Biblical Hebrew, actually (that and some vocabulary).

Besides, the vowel sounds ATTACHED have a lot to do with the meaning of the ROOT - And the traditional vocalization MIGHT not be right, and there is no way to know, because ALL of the possibilities make perfect sense.

Without the vowels belonging to those consonants, it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to know exactly what this version of 'be' actually says - so

At any rate, the HYH root does mean 'to be/is'.
  • I am what I am is right
    I will be what I will be is right (and maybe is exactly right)
    I am what I will be/was/am - is right.

All of them are right.

Sadly, this always makes me think of Popeye.
I yam what I yam.

And - unfortunately - that is pretty much exactly what it means. It means what it needs to mean.

I am, however, perfectly content with the meaning of 'asher'. It means what, or which.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Personally, I like the "I am what I will be." rendering. To me that speaks to the unchanging character and nature of G_d. Only G_d exists on the single plane of actuality. We and everything else in the universe is in constant transition so we exist on two planes, actuality and potentiality. We are what we are now but we also exist as what we will be at any point in the future.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
agricola

Post by agricola »

Could be 'I am what is' - Being, Existence - TRULY this is a complex statement EVEN IN Hebrew, and it is not truly possible to capture it easily in English.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.