2,964 hours I won't get back....

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Re: 2,964 hours I won't get back....

Post by Moogy »

Your COC required "good works"? You mean visiting the backsliders to encourage them to return to the fold (at the next appointed time)? :D
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
katisha

Post by katisha »

Moogy wrote:Your COC required "good works"? You mean visiting the backsliders to encourage them to return to the fold (at the next appointed time)? :D
No, but we had to knock doors before gospel meetings and provide benevolence for needy people. Rode for hours on the JOY bus while we picked up any child who was breathing and hauled them into bible class with the promise of candy or cookies. (we packed almost 300 into one bus one Wednesday night. People were sitting on top of each other.) Cook food for any and all occasions when the elders demanded it. Made cloth teddy bears for children to be handed out in the emergency room at the hospitals, and the thing I hated the most...we made flowers out of tissue paper, attached scripture to them and delivered them to the patients at the local hospitals. The teddy bears had scriptures stitched on them. Any woman who did not participate in at least one of these works was looked down on as a slacker.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
KLP

Post by KLP »

The time spent in CofCism is water under the bridge. There was good and bad, like anything else.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:The time spent in CofCism is water under the bridge. There was good and bad, like anything else.
Way to be a buzzkill, klp.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
coffeegrammy

Post by coffeegrammy »

I resent nearly all of the 36+ years I have spent in the coc. I cringe at the thought of the number of hours that would be. That is one of the reasons I joined this board. The negative impact it has had on my children's spiritual life is another. I do appreciate this board and the opportunity to vent.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Th Church of Christ was not too bad to me, but it does make me angry hearing some of the stories you all here tell. The two I was a member at as well as the three others I would visit a lot did try to curb some of these excesses of doctrine and zeal when looking back, I guess.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

There were some good things about my time in the CofC, but my biggest regret is the hours wasted taking our kids to 3 services a week and taking them to things like Lads to Leaders. That was all a huge waste of time. Our kids all left church, and two of them are atheists now.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Ivy wrote:
klp wrote:The time spent in CofCism is water under the bridge. There was good and bad, like anything else.
There are two sides of the mountain. Professor Pangloss and Mother Maybelle recommend staying on the sunny side.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:
Ivy wrote:
There are two sides of the mountain. Professor Pangloss and Mother Maybelle recommend staying on the sunny side.
I saw a mountain that had six sides to it. Can you believe it?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:
Ivy wrote:
But of course.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~