"Friendly" Corrections

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: "Friendly" Corrections

Post by KLP »

you could post
"OMG You are such a downer"
"OMG Thanks for taking the time to focus on the speck you see in my eye"
"OMG I am so glad you are not my Mom"

I guess if you know your mom is not offended by the OMG phrase then it really doesn't matter...let it go.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

We recently had a visiting preacher give a sermon against OMG. The teens were in an uproar afterward. I'm glad they didn't hire him.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Turtle wrote:We recently had a visiting preacher give a sermon against OMG. The teens were in an uproar afterward. I'm glad they didn't hire him.
It could be worse; we had a visiting preacher - actually a candidate for the pulpiteer job - who's tryout sermon was an ill-conceived harangue about the evils of instrumental music in worship ... and they hired him on the spot. :roll:
Unity in diversity
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Turtle wrote:We recently had a visiting preacher give a sermon against OMG. The teens were in an uproar afterward. I'm glad they didn't hire him.

After they all turn 18 they'll say "OMG! I'm 18 and don't have to listen to that shit anymore!"
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

The CoC very religiously must create sin where there is none: There are many examples. I remember a lesson on exclamations that really have other meaning other things: Gee Whiz is really Jesus etc. I personally would rather hear gee whiz. At least around little kids it is better.. You are always fighting against your own inclinations. Better to perfect that than to worry endlessly about such things. You have get along with other people. It does not pay to be overbearing or unapproachable. The CoC has succeeded pretty well in isolating themselves. This functions as a self reinforcement. The isolation is much greater in scope than one believes. It can be seen once you hear comments from other churches. I have many times.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Ivy wrote:It's the "holier than thou" thing.....always highly obnoxious.
Good point..and so true!
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Typical coc.

Anyone remember M.C. Hammer? When I was a teenager, I had a t-shirt with "Can't Touch This!" on it. I got a lashing for it. :shock:
rehab'd

Post by rehab'd »

Just happened to see the latest edition of The Gospel Advocate. An entire article on WWJP (What Would Jesus Post). Entire paragraph or two explaining how OMG was a sin.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

rehab'd wrote:Just happened to see the latest edition of The Gospel Advocate. An entire article on WWJP (What Would Jesus Post). Entire paragraph or two explaining how OMG was a sin.
What, only a couple paragraphs! Im surprised the The Gospel Advocate didn't dedicate an entire issue to the sinful devastating OMG controversy. They didn't spare the ink when attacking Leroy Garrett and W Carl Ketcherside over the years ... perhaps they're getting soft in their old age.
Unity in diversity
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

lvmaus wrote:
rehab'd wrote:Just happened to see the latest edition of The Gospel Advocate. An entire article on WWJP (What Would Jesus Post). Entire paragraph or two explaining how OMG was a sin.
What, only a couple paragraphs! Im surprised the The Gospel Advocate didn't dedicate an entire issue to the sinful devastating OMG controversy. They didn't spare the ink when attacking Leroy Garrett and W Carl Ketcherside over the years ... perhaps they're getting soft in their old age.

I don't remember GA doing that, but I well remember Contending for the Faith devoting issue after issue to attacking those two gentlemen.