No crosses?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Fellow Traveler

No crosses?

Post by Fellow Traveler »

Has it been anyone else's experience that in most baptisteries in COC churches, there is either a river mural of some kind or nothing. I've also noticed no crosses on communion ware either. I've also heard a lady self righteously declare before the reasons she does not wear a cross. I can sort of understand the aversion to images given their heritage from the Reformed tradition, but crosses too?
musicman

Re: No crosses?

Post by musicman »

Fellow Traveler wrote:Has it been anyone else's experience that in most baptisteries in COC churches, there is either a river mural of some kind or nothing. I've also noticed no crosses on communion ware either. I've also heard a lady self righteously declare before the reasons she does not wear a cross. I can sort of understand the aversion to images given their heritage from the Reformed tradition, but crosses too?
C o C most likely such as worshiping an inanimate object. I never heard much discussion on the subject during my C o C days. We were just told it was more important to remember that Jesus died on the cross.

The C o C doesn't value or appreciate the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. All its claims to the contrary, it teaches a "water gospel" which is based upon works.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Idolatry, pure and simple.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Ramblin' Jack

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Fellow Traveler wrote:Has it been anyone else's experience that in most baptisteries in COC churches, there is either a river mural of some kind or nothing. I've also noticed no crosses on communion ware either. I've also heard a lady self righteously declare before the reasons she does not wear a cross. I can sort of understand the aversion to images given their heritage from the Reformed tradition, but crosses too?
Oh yes, the good ol' river mural above the baptistry. :)

Those seem to be especially common in old school CoC buildings.

Did the same guy go around painting all of them?
Last edited by Ramblin' Jack on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Ramblin' Jack wrote:Oh yes, the good ol' river mural above the baptistry. :)

These seem to be common in old school Church of Christ buildings.

Did the same guy go around painting all of them?
It's like the decor and menus in Chinese restaurants. They're all strangely identical despite each establishment being supposedly 'autonomous.' The statistical odds against that little one-arm-waving cat showing up randomly in 100% of Chinese restaurants are astronomical.

I wonder why the COC doesn't just 'fess up and admit that they're not all autonomous and that they are a denomination. As far as I know, church autonomy isn't even required by the NT. If anything, NT churches relied on elders in every town for day-to-day decisions and larger conferences for bigger ones.

Lev
ena

Post by ena »

Crosses have have theories behind them too. In Baptist Churches you will find empty crosses symbolizing the risen Christ. In Catholic Churches you will find Crucifixes with the body of Christ symbolizing the Crucifixion. Neither is of evil intent but there is the danger of people worshiping the image and not the reality. The point can made that the COC is guilty of communion worship. :lol: I have no real trouble with symbols. Christianity is full of them. Baptism is a physical symbol of a spiritual reality. Many Cocers miss this.
ena

Post by ena »

Lev wrote:The statistical odds against that little one-arm-waving cat showing up randomly in 100% of Chinese restaurants are astronomical.

I wonder why the COC doesn't just 'fess up and admit that they're not all autonomous and that they are a denomination. As far as I know, church autonomy isn't even required by the NT. If anything, NT churches relied on elders in every town for day-to-day decisions and larger conferences for bigger ones.
I like the cat. Here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn2Sa5UGxK8

There were many Church Councils one is recorded in Acts over circumcision. Early Christianity was very divided. Early church councils were local affairs. The first ecumenical coucil was the Council of Nicea of of which came the Nicean Creed. Constantine called it because in-fighting over the nature of Jesus (ie Is he God or Man} was destabilizing the church and empire. This is in 325 ad. This is a very important moment for Christianity. But you won't hear this in the COC because they do not believe in creeds. You can find translations in English. There is no evidence the CoC exists. Probably they would have been wiped out as heretics. There was now agreed on canon then. The Bible we have today was not agreed on yet. The Vulgate is the Latin Bible of the Catholic Church. The old Testament contains works like 1 and 2 Maccabees or Bel and the Dragon. There are other works that are in the Protestant Apochcrya. Look them up. Translations in English exist.