Portray of CoC in popular media

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Portray of CoC in popular media

Post by longdistancerunner »

Can anyone think of movies, tv shows, or songs where the CoC is portrayed?

I can only think of two, the first is from the classic movie Deliverance, the town being moved due to flood from the dam has an ending scene where a church is being moved away from the waters, there is a sign on the church "Church of Christ". It is a very simple looking country church. The second is in the Colin Ray country song Little Rock, it has a verse "I like the preacher at the Church of Christ".

Surely other people can come up with other examples.
Shane R

Re: Portray of CoC in popular media

Post by Shane R »

Montgomery Gentry name dropped the CoC from time to time. I specifically remember a line in the song "My Town":
Come Sunday mornin' service at the church of Christ
Well, there ain't an empty seat to be found

I have never witnessed that problem, even in churches that were only built to hold about 60 people.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

In "Oh God II" where George Burns plays God and tells kids to love and think about him the church the kids try to spray paint but get caught is a Church of Christ. In the movie they want to paint "think God" on the building but get run off by members. A presumed elderly member goes ahead and does it anyway.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Also, in several documentaries about Lyndon Johnson it is often mentioned one of his friends was Billy Sol Estes , a conman and cheat who was prominent in his Church of Christ.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
longdistancerunner

I was on a cruise in Antarctica and met some people who had gone to church with Billy Sol Estes. They said he took money out of the collection plate.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

longdistancerunner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 am I was on a cruise in Antarctica and met some people who had gone to church with Billy Sol Estes. They said he took money out of the collection plate.
He hung out with Lyndon too much.
longdistancerunner

B.H. wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am
longdistancerunner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 am I was on a cruise in Antarctica and met some people who had gone to church with Billy Sol Estes. They said he took money out of the collection plate.
He hung out with Lyndon too much.
Although not CoC Bobby Baker was another one of the confidence men who hung out with LBJ. LBJ was going to be exposed after the Dallas trip by senate committee and Look magazine, Kennedy's assassination saved LBJ.
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

I would love to go on a cruise in Antarctica. Wow. I'm jealous.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I wonder if there is a Church of Christ in Antarctica?
longdistancerunner

I have been to Antarctica and there are quite a few Churches there, most are the representative religions of the nations research stations there. There might be a group of CoC that meets at the largest station of the US, I think it has several hundred people.