COC Songs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Re: COC Songs

Post by Moogy »

Sacred Selections had a lot of changed lyrics. I think they even mentioned it in the preface. When I got to the Methodist Church, i stumbled many times over unfamilar lyrics. My copy of Sacred Selections is still in some box with many other books from a no-longer-recent move. Let me try to recall a few...

I think SS changed "When we all get to heaven" to "When the saved get to heaven". Anyone have a copy of SS handy to check that out?

In "Have a little talk with Jesus", SS substituted "when you feel a little prayerful yearning as your heart unto Jesus is turning" for the original wording "when you feel a little prayer wheel turning then you'll know a little fire is burning" because we certainly didn't know anything about prayer wheels (I still don't!)
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
bnot

Post by bnot »

It's so ridiculous how the coc splits hairs over lyrics. But what many of them don't realize is that a lot of the songs they sing are written by people from the "denominations"
ena

Post by ena »

The Church of the 1800's isn't the first century. The politics, the lack of refrigeration, the lack of pasteurization, the lack of sterility, the lack of deodorant, the lack of showers you can go on and on. There is a bunch of over looking these facts. I'll regale you with Psalm 150:3-5.

3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals
Psalms 150:3-5 (KJV)

I supposed to worship with psalms. Right? If I were in the CoC today I could ask some pretty pointed questions. There are some songs that are lovely but not correct. My own father rejected: Pass me not a gentle savior. I have sung that many times without thinking about the theological problems it can cause. Is God too busy?
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Moogy wrote:Sacred Selections had a lot of changed lyrics. I think they even mentioned it in the preface. When I got to the Methodist Church, i stumbled many times over unfamilar lyrics. My copy of Sacred Selections is still in some box with many other books from a no-longer-recent move. Let me try to recall a few...

I think SS changed "When we all get to heaven" to "When the saved get to heaven". Anyone have a copy of SS handy to check that out?

In "Have a little talk with Jesus", SS substituted "when you feel a little prayerful yearning as your heart unto Jesus is turning" for the original wording "when you feel a little prayer wheel turning then you'll know a little fire is burning" because we certainly didn't know anything about prayer wheels (I still don't!)

That's it. Other lowlights of Sacred Selections included:

"Pass Me Not," became "Hear Me Now"
"Where the Gates Swing Outward Never" - "starry crown" became "shining crown," and "with Jesus reign forever" became "with Jesus live forever."
"Amazing Grace" - "grace my fears relieved" because "grace my fears allayed" (which sounds awkward with the music) and "the hour I first believed" because "when I His Word obeyed."
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Struggler wrote:I think SS changed "When we all get to heaven" to "When the saved get to heaven". Anyone have a copy of SS handy to check that out?
The SS has definitely changed the wording to ... When the SAVED get to Heaven.

With the strict silence gag the ultra legalistic CoC tribes place on their women members, I wonder if they realize When we all get to Heaven was written by E E Hewitt and J G Wilson ... two women!
Unity in diversity
JKendallDane

Post by JKendallDane »

I seem to recall that when we got Sacred Selections in the late 1960's there was some weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth over changes to both 'Trust and Obey' and 'Just As I Am'...but I can't remember the details. :?:
God gave us dogs so we would understand love, and then gave us cats so we could comprehend serving others.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

One never knows what lyrics are going to offend which C of C'er.

I recall someone telling me the line in "Whiter Than Snow" that goes, "to those who have sought Thee, Thou never saidst No," was wrong because Jesus does reject some who seek Him. That is so twisted!
musicman

Post by musicman »

Y'all.....do you remember how "they", not sure who in the "brotherhood", decided that a line in "He Arose" was
unscriptural??
It wasn't only this song. Ellis Crum produced "Sacred Selections for the Church" as an effort to make a "scriptural" songbook.

"When We All Get to Heaven" was changed to "When the Saved Get to Heaven." In "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name" he changed the line "..bring forth the royal diadem and crown Him Lord of All." The "scriptural version" said "..they brought the royal diadem and crowned Him Lord of All."
musicman

Post by musicman »

We all know that one could believe for a lifetime but not render full obedience and still be lost. I don't know why coC even sings this song as they have no concept of grace.
C o C shouldn't be singing "Amazing Grace" at all. It certainly doesn't believe the Biblical concept of grace.

All its claims to the contrary, C o C does teach salvation by works.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It seems to me that the coc teaches CONDEMNATION by works, which makes life futile from the get-go. But hey, I left quite a while back.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.