Sex

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
TLC

Re: Sex

Post by TLC »

As I understand it Asceticism and Gnosticism basically taught that anything physical was evil thus anything physically enjoyable was also evil. Obviously they totally ignored the Song of Solomon! Many teach that masturbation is wrong because of Genesis 38:9. However Onan was not masturbating. He was fulfilling a promise by having intercourse with his dead brother's wife. He failed in the promise due to selfishness or greed, perhaps both. Of course Onan was of a forbidden lineage for Israelites and that is another whole issue.

We have a lot of freedom in Christ. Scripture never teaches against masturbation. Enjoy the gifts of God.
cathym

Post by cathym »

Yeah, the only time masturbation was brought up at all, as far as I recall, was to explain that the sin in the story of Onan was not masturbation, but not doing his duty by giving his dead brother an heir.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Doesn't it say in Moses's Law that if a man has a seminal emmission he is considered unclean. Now the term unclean does not necessarily mean in a state of sin---people who touch a dead body or a woman on her menstrual cycle was unclean as well. Of course a man could have a seminal emmission through other means than masturbating too.
Last edited by B.H. on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

Yes that's right, BH. A wet dream made a guy ritually unclean for a while - not long though - maybe a day? It meant he couldn't enter the inner courtyard around the sanctuary.

come to think of it, that probably was a nice self-correcting mechanism keeping rowdy teenagers out of the sacred spaces!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

If you can control peoples' sexual activity...their most primal urge... you can control everything else about them. Let that sink in for a moment.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

^^ Wise words.

I find it horrible that so many Christians say they hope that medical scientists never find a cure for HIV. They are still stuck in the year 1015.

I've been seeing a guy for about 6 months now. I'm 28 years old and my mom still tries to guilt me out of spending any time alone with him, because God forbid we do anything resembling sexual activity.
Real blessings come from people.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

GuitarHero wrote:If you can control peoples' sexual activity...their most primal urge... you can control everything else about them. Let that sink in for a moment.

So true!
KLP

Post by KLP »

I have never heard of anyone hoping against a cure to any disease, much less HIV. Sure the some folks have used famine against some other group of people, but they knew the cure, they were just withholding it. I am sure there is a whacko here and there, but I have never met anyone who actually actively wants disease to spread and even remain uncured. And Westboro Baptist is only a few people, they are about the only ones that come to mind of people who would think about not curing a disease.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
chrisso99

Post by chrisso99 »

The only time masturbation came up in Church when I was a kid, they said it was only ok if you weren't thinking about having sex while you were doing it, because if you were thinking about sex, you were lusting which was definitely always a sin. If it was just the mechanical act to relieve physical symptoms, it was ok. I remember thinking that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I wasn't doing that type of activity yet, even though I was 15 or so. I knew I didn't believe in this silly religion at the time, but I didn't yet feel free enough to behave that way. What kind of whack job (pun not actually intended but still delightfully tacky) thinks it's even possible to ask teenage (or any age) boys not to lust? It's literally an ingrained part of our DNA. You can't just turn it off.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:Yes that's right, BH. A wet dream made a guy ritually unclean for a while
Were they on some kind of honor system to tell some leader if they'd had an incident?

Kind of interesting how open people were back then about their bodily functions and fluids. "Well, Aaron had a nocturnal emission last
night so he's got to go and ritual wash". "Tabitha's unclean right now so she'll be out in the menstrual cave for the week."
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~