The Letter vs. The Spirit

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Re: The Letter vs. The Spirit

Post by SolaDude »

KLP wrote:
SolaDude wrote:I especially remember the reference Jesus made to the unprofitable servants (Luke 17) who did only what they were commanded to do, i.e., what they said was their duty to do.....that one parable IMO calls out the CofC, and quite shamefully IMHO.
It seems to me that Luke 17 reference is not about faulting the servants for only doing what they were commanded to do. It is faulting them for thinking they are special for doing what was commanded and thinking more highly of themselves...for not remembering the proper relationship that the Master is always higher than the servant no matter how special and faithful that servant may be.
You have made my point KLP w/r to the CoC...
KLP

Post by KLP »

SolaDude wrote:...So yes...if you want to argue that CofC is unenthusiastic and deadening then there is plenty to support that. But the term "spirit of the law" as commonly understood and in common usage denotes considering the mindset and intention of the law...not the giver or source of the law.
Well... not really following you here KLP.. but my OP was not addressing secular law... nor was it addressing just the giver of the law, but rather referencing spiritual discernment in the process of interpretive reading which is rejected by the CoC IMO.....[/quote]

Sorry it is so confusing to you Sola. But the point as I said over and over is that the term "spirit of the Law" does not have to do with the Holy Spirit any usage. It is not a term/phrase relegated to the Scripture it is also used in other realms such as the secular. But sure, if you want to back off of the OP about it having something to do with the Holy Spirit then I agree with you.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
KLP

Post by KLP »

SolaDude wrote:
KLP wrote:
SolaDude wrote:I especially remember the reference Jesus made to the unprofitable servants (Luke 17) who did only what they were commanded to do, i.e., what they said was their duty to do.....that one parable IMO calls out the CofC, and quite shamefully IMHO.
It seems to me that Luke 17 reference is not about faulting the servants for only doing what they were commanded to do. It is faulting them for thinking they are special for doing what was commanded and thinking more highly of themselves...for not remembering the proper relationship that the Master is always higher than the servant no matter how special and faithful that servant may be.
You have made my point KLP w/r to the CoC...
I seriously doubt it but sure...whatever. Good job.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.