coc Online Worship Services

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Lev

Re: coc Online Worship Services

Post by Lev »

Pitts S2C wrote:Benefits include; don’t have to dress up…
"But what if you were meeting the President? How would you dress then?" (© 1950, COC)

Lev
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Lev wrote:
"But what if you were meeting the President? How would you dress then?" (© 1950, COC)

Lev
I absolutely love it when I get that question, because I have met 2 presidents and 1 vice-prez, and all three times, I was wearing casual clothing.
Lev

Post by Lev »

GuitarHero wrote:
Lev wrote:

Lev
I absolutely love it when I get that question, because I have met 2 presidents and 1 vice-prez, and all three times, I was wearing casual clothing.
I wish I had your answer. I've met one president and one prime minister and both times I put on a tie specifically for the occasion. Sigh.

Lev
agricola

Post by agricola »

I've met one past president (Carter), one future president (Obama) and a few aspiring presidential candidates (notably, Romney) and I've been dressed up nice once (Carter), wore casual normal clothes mostly (everyone else) and AFAIK it doesn't really register one way or the other. Maybe at a formal dinner things would be different.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

They've forgotten you even exist a minute after you meet them and walk away. So who cares?
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

I've met two Presidents, three VPs, three prime ministers and have attended the appearances of two other Presidents, two other VPs and another PM. I was wearing a suit each time because, with one exception, all were for work.
One's choice of clothing is just that--one's choice.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I wore a suite and tie when I had to go downtown to talk to the mayor of Corsicana once.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
katisha

Post by katisha »

[quote="Ivy]

That's right. I think all cofcs should require themselves to have porta-potties outside the building - eliminating indoor bathrooms and plumbing. That way, they can neither drink water nor poop inside the building. They way they can avoid all appearance of evil. They WOULD have to bring their own hand gel if they want to wash up after the porta pottie trip. Then we have to talk about the scripturality of hand gel.[/quote]

But, Ivy, what about those fancy baptism pools behind the curtain? if there was no plumbing, they would be forced to shut those down and do their baptizing, shudder, DOWN BY THE RIVER! :shock:
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Can't have a water fountain...can't be in a separate nursery...

The rationale is the exact same rationale used by Muslim terrorists...enforcement method is the only difference.

All such rigid and legalistic interpretation disgusts and scares me.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

katisha wrote:But, Ivy, what about those fancy baptism pools behind the curtain? if there was no plumbing, they would be forced to shut those down and do their baptizing, shudder, DOWN BY THE RIVER! :shock:
Katisha....an indoor baptistry is an expedient because of the risk of someone dying on the way to the
body of water in another location. An indoor commode, however, is merely an innovation. In Jesus' time
they had crude porta potty-type areas where one could relieve oneself. A porta potty is more scriptural and
true to the first century church paradigm.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~