Decently and In Order

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Decently and In Order

Post by Ivy »

Lev wrote:I got decently-and-in-ordered for suggesting that we sing a song while passing the communion and/or collection trays.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....y'all are cracking me up!!

That's some strange fire :lol:

No wonder so many of us have anxiety / OCD-like issues.

Please stand, sing, and bow your heads as we pass the Prozac.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
bnot

Post by bnot »

This is one of the all time great scripture twisting Coc, *cough* Pharisee verses. You can use it for anything you disagree about! I read a disfellowship letter where a preacher tried to ouster some trustees, and he quoted that verse in the letter. The trustees thought the preacher was not acting decently and in order. Decently and in order is the opinion of whoever is pissed off at the coc. They memorize and quote tons of scripture, only to use them like a jackass.
Lev

Post by Lev »

The two most wide-ranging prooftexts in the COC are Decently and in Order and the Appearance of Evil. You can make almost anything you want into a sin by (mis) using those two verses.

Lev
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Decently and in order is the opinion of whoever is pissed off at the coc.
Decently and in Order and the Appearance of Evil
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember how it was said you couldn't just go to the school homecoming dance and not dance, because
of the "appearance of evil" argument. What if one of the phantom offendees happened to drive by and see you walk in.
They'd assume you were planning to dance, and BOOM.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

We had a deacon who wanted to wanted to dim the lights during communion and the offering. I was all for it. Be easier to make change in the collection plate if no one sees me doing it.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

bnot wrote:This is one of the all time great scripture twisting Coc, *cough* Pharisee verses. You can use it for anything you disagree about! I read a disfellowship letter where a preacher tried to ouster some trustees, and he quoted that verse in the letter. The trustees thought the preacher was not acting decently and in order. Decently and in order is the opinion of whoever is pissed off at the coc. They memorize and quote tons of scripture, only to use them like a jackass.

I was going through Kerens and Trinidad the other day and pulled over the side of the road to watch this jackass. It was quoting bible verses all out of context and arguing with his farmer-owner. I told the farmer "Your donkey is quoting Bible verses all out of context" and the farmer said "Yes, well, he is just a jackass after all".
Last edited by B.H. on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

illuminator wrote:We had a deacon who wanted to wanted to dim the lights during communion and the offering. I was all for it. Be easier to make change in the collection plate if no one sees me doing it.
Someone lights a match and BOOM!! .... strange fire.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I was going through Kerens and Trinidad the other day and pulled over the side of the road to watch this jackass.

BH, you can't be pulling over suddenly like that. Someone could hit you from the rear.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:I was going through Kerens and Trinidad the other day and pulled over the side of the road to watch this jackass.

BH, you can't be pulling over suddenly like that. Someone could hit you from the rear.

True, and then I'd look like a big donkey butt. :lol: Why is it that I only see talking donkeys when going through Kerens and then on to Trinidad?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

BH wrote: Why is it that I only see talking donkeys when going through Kerens and then on to Trinidad?
Because I have so many relatives in that area. :mrgreen:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages