COC Songs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
bnot

Re: COC Songs

Post by bnot »

musicman wrote:
We all know that one could believe for a lifetime but not render full obedience and still be lost. I don't know why coC even sings this song as they have no concept of grace.
C o C shouldn't be singing "Amazing Grace" at all. It certainly doesn't believe the Biblical concept of grace.

All its claims to the contrary, C o C does teach salvation by works.
The coc version should be "Amazing Works"
Gone4Good

Post by Gone4Good »

The COC I grew up in changed a lot of the songs, but not all of them. In fact, some people got together and wrote their own songbook. (Looking back, I think that probably qualified as plagiarism since what they did was photocopy songs and white out/insert their own words. Then they bound those new and improved books into our own spiral bound, scriptural songbooks.)

Anyway, one of the songs they DIDN'T change was When We All Get To Heaven. I distinctly remember taking issue with this myself. It seemed to me that if we believed that not all (even without our own congregation few would make the cut) were going to Heaven, it was really crazy to sing this song. Of course, I was a woman and hadn't reached the age of being old enough that people had to listen to anyway (old biddy), no one ever wanted to hear my argument against singing that one.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Gone4Good wrote:The COC I grew up in changed a lot of the songs, but not all of them. In fact, some people got together and wrote their own songbook. (Looking back, I think that probably qualified as plagiarism since what they did was photocopy songs and white out/insert their own words. Then they bound those new and improved books into our own spiral bound, scriptural songbooks.)

Anyway, one of the songs they DIDN'T change was When We All Get To Heaven. I distinctly remember taking issue with this myself. It seemed to me that if we believed that not all (even without our own congregation few would make the cut) were going to Heaven, it was really crazy to sing this song. Of course, I was a woman and hadn't reached the age of being old enough that people had to listen to anyway (old biddy), no one ever wanted to hear my argument against singing that one.
It's odd to me that the COC is so adamant about the whole "die and go to heaven" idea in the first place, considering that there is very little scriptural support for such an idea and a lot for what is generally termed "new creation" or some other scenario in which the earth is recreated and God's "world" joins with ours. Off topic, but still.

Lev
TwoscoopsRB

Post by TwoscoopsRB »

CofC have used many songs that were written by great Christian authors from the dreaded "denominational world" . One such song is "To God Be The Glory" written by the late great Fanny Crosby . I grew up in a church singing it the way it was written but while visiting a CofC , i got a shock while singing this one . The second verse is written :
The vilest offender who truly believes,
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives. But CofC translators , changed the second verse to say , "... the vilest offender who truly obeys, that moment may enter the Heavenly way "
ena

Post by ena »

klp wrote:Why do we have to walk in the streets in Heaven? Are there no sidewalks? Is there no transportation?
Not needed. Want to go across the galaxy. Think about it and you are there. I suspect that Heaven is not just a place but a state off being. Human terms fail to describe. 24 carat gold would be rutted over time. Hmm. There might be a market for gold dust. I need some mercury boys.
agricola

Post by agricola »

My childhood congregation was pretty good at singing - mostly. The singing is about the only thing I truly enjoyed at church (well, that, and playing tag in the parking lot after evening services). Did anybody ever go to a 'sing'? Like the Diana sing? I had a very enjoyable time there - partly because we actually sang the third verses of songs, and tried a lot of the OTHER songs (I mean, really - there were 603 songs (or so) in the songbooks, but we almost always picked and sang no more than about 20 or 30 of them over the course of a typical YEAR.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lev

Post by Lev »

TwoscoopsRB wrote:One such song is "To God Be The Glory" written by the late great Fanny Crosby . I grew up in a church singing it the way it was written but while visiting a CofC , i got a shock while singing this one . The second verse is written :
The vilest offender who truly believes,
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives. But CofC translators , changed the second verse to say , "... the vilest offender who truly obeys, that moment may enter the Heavenly way "
Wow. If I were Ms. Crosby I'd be suing for plagiarism, copyright violation, or theft.

Lev