Jesus birthday

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
FinallyFree

Re: Jesus birthday

Post by FinallyFree »

klp wrote:I can see either not doing xmas at all OR going all the way. I don't get the "we don't celebrate it that way" OR Fussing about the date and details such as dates, head count of 3 Magi, what town they were in or not, etc. If one is going to accept any of it then frickin accept all of it...or just abstain. But arguing over details like so many want to do...I guess to show they are serious about the details or not being hoodwinked or more thoughtful...just spare everyone and get on with it one way or the other.
I agree with you, klp. I remember when I was a little girl, I wanted to put a star on top of our tree, but my mother wouldn't let me because she said she didn't believe in that. That is really dumb. You have a Christmas tree, but it would be wrong to put a star on it. I grew up with so much twisted CofC logic.
KLP

Post by KLP »

well, we had zilch Christmas/Easter on any shape or form (well, we could have a chocolate rabbit)...but no special meals, nothing other than total normal...except for the disdain and ridicule of others who participated in Christmas/Easter. I mean nothing in school, we got yanked out at the slightest hint of a decoration. And I was down with this myself as an adult for another 20+ years. So now I am of an opinion that Christmas is OK but I have no positive emotional connection to it. So the idea of getting a tree or decorations or certain aromas/foods...I have tried it but it seems so forced and fake to me to pretend that these attributes have meaning or some sort of fond memory...there is just nothing there. I would enjoy the smell of pine I think or maybe scented pine cones or vanilla in the house.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

klp wrote:well, we had zilch Christmas/Easter on any shape or form (well, we could have a chocolate rabbit)...but no special meals, nothing other than total normal...except for the disdain and ridicule of others who participated in Christmas/Easter. I mean nothing in school, we got yanked out at the slightest hint of a decoration. And I was down with this myself as an adult for another 20+ years. So now I am of an opinion that Christmas is OK but I have no positive emotional connection to it. So the idea of getting a tree or decorations or certain aromas/foods...I have tried it but it seems so forced and fake to me to pretend that these attributes have meaning or some sort of fond memory...there is just nothing there. I would enjoy the smell of pine I think or maybe scented pine cones or vanilla in the house.
I am sorry. That must have been hard as a child to experience that.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Who knew it was hard? It was normal...my parents loved me and this was the best path. I was not "missing" or "giving up" anything because as I said I had no connection to it. It is what we did. Later in junior high and high school I could feel a bit awkward when kids asked "what did you get for Christmas"...but really those are just superficial questions like "how are you" and I learned how to avoid them or steer away from that conversation so I didn't have to go in to it. And then like a few days later the whole Christmas topic is done and over. So yes in my teen years I tended to be very happy when xmas would just be over with for another year. But teens always have something to stress about anyway....if it wasn't xmas it would have been something else.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Faithfyl, so are you going to make the birthday cake?
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FinallyFree wrote:Faithfyl, so are you going to make the birthday cake?
Yes. I have to make it myself now. I called a bakery yesterday, but they aren't taking orders anymore for Christmas.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

klp wrote:well, we had zilch Christmas/Easter on any shape or form (well, we could have a chocolate rabbit)...but no special meals, nothing other than total normal...except for the disdain and ridicule of others who participated in Christmas/Easter. I mean nothing in school, we got yanked out at the slightest hint of a decoration..
That is why I think public schools shouldn't have Christmas parties. Because some kids obviously, who come from other religions that don't acknowledge Christmas, have to "opt out" of these parties and activities. My child's school has a "holiday party" and "Winter break".
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Let us know how your family reacts to the cake! Maybe you can show us a picture.