Jesus birthday

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Jesus birthday

Post by faithfyl »

Has anyone ever known of someone who had a birthday cake on Christmas day for Jesus as one of their holiday traditions? I know in c of c this would be taboo. I am wondering what religion this practice comes from, though.
KLP

Re: Jesus birthday

Post by KLP »

King cakes don't come out until early next year...watch out for the choking hazard.

Supposedly we were having a spiritual feast each Sunday so I am sure it included dessert...so yeah I guess we had spiritual cake and spiritual ice cream too. we celebrated the birthday every Sundae not just once a year like those papist pagans.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Do you remember the singer Barbara Mandrell? I remember her birthday is December 25, and I know I read that every year on Christmas they also had a birthday cake for Jesus. That was the only time I ever heard of that.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I Googled "birthday cake for Jesus" and there were several things there and a ton of Jesus birthday cakes on Pinterest.
Letmethink

Post by Letmethink »

Even as a believer I found this to be a rather strange practice. But I am familiar with it in the Methodist church, and even among some of the liberal coc's now. Well, maybe not the cake, but at least singing Happy Birthday to Jesus, which to me is on-par in terms of overall strangeness.

NOT that I am judging anyone for doing it. Oh well, it still sounds judgmental. Sorry, I guess the habit runs deep. :x
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I just wondered about it and what religion that the practice came from. C of C is so hard core about insisting that Christmas day is not the day Jesus was born. I might just start a Jesus birthday cake tradition.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I've been posting on this borad for about 8 or 9 years and my birthday was Nov. 19th. No one remembered and wished me happy birthday. :(
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I've been posting on this borad for about 8 or 9 years and my birthday was Nov. 19th. No one remembered and wished me happy birthday. :(
Sorry, BH. The only way I know when someone has a b-day is when Facebook tells me......and you aren't my FB friend.

I used to keep up with board b-days until Mnala made fun of me and I stopped. :evil:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

B.H. wrote:I've been posting on this borad for about 8 or 9 years and my birthday was Nov. 19th. No one remembered and wished me happy birthday. :(
Can I retroactively wish you happy birthday nine times?
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

BH

Hope you had a nice birthday, and best wishes for the coming yer.