Short Conversation

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: Short Conversation

Post by KLP »

Seems like a reasonable exchange...I mean both sides basically said their piece and neither was going to change. So putting the kibosh on it was probably best in the long run. To her credit, she said a lot more than some before blocking you and was at least honest about the one true church. :)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Phil

Post by Phil »

There are many religions who make may misinterpret scriptures, but have tolerance for those who may see it differently. Why does the coC see the need to condescend every religion that does not agree with their interpretation of Truth? They love to assign the term "you're not interested in truth," to those who disagree, but ask them to prove how they know I'm not interested in Truth and they won't go into details. They just make a general statement and fail to elaborate when asked. The arrogance and indoctrination is so strong they can't believe that other can't see their correctness and just surrender to them. If a religion could be seen as narcissistic then the coC would be the poster child for this.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

They know that "If anyone will read the Bible with an honest heart, he will understand the TRUTH (just like we do)." Therefore if you don't understand it the same, you must not have an honest heart. Or maybe you never read the Bible.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Lev

Post by Lev »

I read Reviving the Ancient Faith, by Richard Hughes, and found it very enlightening about the historical roots of the current COC culture. The chapter called "The Fighting Spirit" made a lot of sense of the modern and recent COC attitude of "I'm right and if you think you're right then I challenge you to a debate." It's worth checking out if you have any interest in the history of the COC. If you don't, no worries.

Lev
bnot

Post by bnot »

Lev wrote:I read Reviving the Ancient Faith, by Richard Hughes, and found it very enlightening about the historical roots of the current COC culture. The chapter called "The Fighting Spirit" made a lot of sense of the modern and recent COC attitude of "I'm right and if you think you're right then I challenge you to a debate." It's worth checking out if you have any interest in the history of the COC. If you don't, no worries.

Lev
Thanks for the book recommendation Lev, I just ordered one.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

bnot wrote:
Lev wrote:I read Reviving the Ancient Faith, by Richard Hughes, and found it very enlightening about the historical roots of the current COC culture. The chapter called "The Fighting Spirit" made a lot of sense of the modern and recent COC attitude of "I'm right and if you think you're right then I challenge you to a debate." It's worth checking out if you have any interest in the history of the COC. If you don't, no worries.

Lev
I've read several books by Richard Hughes, and would certainly recommend them to anyone interested in CoC history. He's not very well accepted by the mainstream churches - which validates his honesty and thinking - and his research and conclusions are usually spot-on in MHO.
Unity in diversity
bnot

Post by bnot »

lvmaus wrote:
bnot wrote:

Lev
I've read several books by Richard Hughes, and would certainly recommend them to anyone interested in CoC history. He's not very well accepted by the mainstream churches - which validates his honesty and thinking - and his research and conclusions are usually spot-on in MHO.
Sweet. Now I'm really excited to get my hands on it. The coc would rather people know nothing about its true origin because it pokes holes in their doctrine.
eyerollfacepalm

Post by eyerollfacepalm »

Lev
I read this book within the last few years and recommended it on the old site. Excellent and thorough research and exposition about the roots and evolution of the Restoration movement, and it also helped me realize that I share virtually no convictions with its adherents.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

When she said "it may be too late for you", it reminded me of a time a guy said in a Wednesday night class that he got baptized when he was 9 and was nearly 30 and had never gone astray. Someone asked what he meant by gone astray, and he said "well, I mean, no offense, but some of you have left the cOC and returned, and you see, you can NEVER get that time back, whereas, I never left". "It could be too little too late for some of you". I had been in and out of the cOC at that point, so I fell in the "gone astray" category. I then said "well, if it is too late for those of us who left and came back, we may as well leave again and stay gone this time! Could have heard a pin drop in there.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:When she said "it may be too late for you", it reminded me of a time a guy said in a Wednesday night class that he got baptized when he was 9 and was nearly 30 and had never gone astray. Someone asked what he meant by gone astray, and he said "well, I mean, no offense, but some of you have left the cOC and returned, and you see, you can NEVER get that time back, whereas, I never left". "It could be too little too late for some of you". I had been in and out of the cOC at that point, so I fell in the "gone astray" category. I then said "well, if it is too late for those of us who left and came back, we may as well leave again and stay gone this time! Could have heard a pin drop in there.
Mercy and grace are in short supply in the CoC.
Unity in diversity