Seen any love?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: Seen any love?

Post by KLP »

True love disciplines those who are wrong and in need of correction....that is true love, shunning until the person understands what is best for them. I found that true love also screams and yells at you and about you from the pulpit. In fact true love yells about true love. Man that guy must have really loved us because he screamed and yell and talked about us even after we were gone. Now that was some true love right there.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I have say my experiences are different. maybe because I'm younger. In my generation we dont hear alot of 'fire & brimestone" sermons these days. Churches who do that are shrinking-thank God. Still in regards to shunning I've witnessed that due to prejudice in some form. Also if the elders disfellowshipped from someone it was alway having to with an unfaithful spouse. If it was having to with sinful lifestyle the shunning was never publicialy announced (at least in my experience). I assumed it was done secertly. However, the whole "us against the rest of Christianity" mindset is still there. Thats where I see alot of their love is lacking.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

klp wrote:True love disciplines those who are wrong and in need of correction....that is true love, shunning until the person understands what is best for them. I found that true love also screams and yells at you and about you from the pulpit. In fact true love yells about true love. Man that guy must have really loved us because he screamed and yell and talked about us even after we were gone. Now that was some true love right there.
Very funny, klp!
KLP

Post by KLP »

yes, laughter helped but it was lousy to experience and deal with young kids and all the family drama and friends.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I do not want or let anyone at a church hug me nor anyone other than immediate family and one friend. I do not want to shake hands for the most part. I used to be big into hugs and greetings and group events...10yrs ago I was very different. No way I share or open up to anyone in person now.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Love and discipline are two words used to actually cover for hatred and bad acts.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
delilah

Post by delilah »

I grew in in mainstream conservative CofC's in the 70s and 80s, and some of my fondest memories are of church potlucks, Halloween parties (really!) and other social gatherings. If the CofC didn't have the "everyone else is going to hell" dogma, I probably wouldn't have turned out as virulently anti-religion as I have. Like, if I'd been raised as a chill Unitarian or something. My immediate family is hardcore CofC and genuinely loves me, but the damage of the judgmental dogma is a constant, ugly shadow.
flawed

Post by flawed »

Delilah, that is exactly how I feel also, minus any of the fun stuff from your earlier church experience, I' never equated fun with anything from church.
delilah

Post by delilah »

@flawed - I guess I should clarify. My life's most fondest memories are NOT church related, but I do have some happy memories of church, specifically one we went to when I was a kid. My family moved around a lot and I quickly learned that there were "friendly churches" and "not-so-friendly" ones. It's really one specific church I have fond memories of, in South Texas, and this congregation was unusally sociable. The social connections are the one thing I wish I could have that religion can provide.