Theater and arts

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Theater and arts

Post by faithfyl »

When I was growing up my parents discouraged me from getting involved in theater. Now my child is trying out for a role in a musical and my family does this "eyeball roll" when I talk about it. It kinda makes me sick to see them do this. They roll their eyes at each other sarcastically, then look away, and won't comment or say good luck, hope she gets a part in the show, or whatever. None of my non-C of C acquaintances or friends do this sort of thing when I talk about theater. I'm just getting tired of it.
kneedeep

Re: Theater and arts

Post by kneedeep »

How sad!! Despite what they think I would encourage you to continue to support your child’s natural talents. It could make very positive difference in their lives. The coc are notorious for being dream killers. Rolling their eyes? That’s just plain rude and uncalled for. While in elementary I was removed from a play because it involved dancing. Go figure.

On the contrary, I’ve known many coc members that were heavily involved in the performance arts. Its probably the reason for all the good singers! Our church had a talent show in a community center a couple years ago. I was amazed at how musically diverse the elders, some deacons, and members were. It’s a shame that these talents can’t be recognized during worship services unless you are male and a song leader. even then its limited. One of the elder’s sons lead songs and also does live jazz on the side. I guess it depends on the congregation, but most coc people don’t care too much for art in general. Some see it as the seed of Satan. Hang in there!
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

kneedeep wrote:How sad!! Despite what they think I would encourage you to continue to support your child’s natural talents. It could make very positive difference in their lives. The coc are notorious for being dream killers.
Oh yes, I know about dream killing. I was interested in theater in high school and my parents discouraged me and rolled their eyes when I talked about trying out for the musical or senior play. They'd say "I don't know why that is so important to you" and / or "that's just stupid, you need to get past that, you can't making a living in theater, you need to just focus on college and getting a job". When I didn't get a role in the musical, they would just smirk about it rather than saying "I'm sorry". Now they are smirking at my daughter the same way and they are about to get told off.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Worst and most vindictive preacher I ever knew was out of theater school...he was in theater and wanted to be a stage actor when he converted to CofC and became a preacher. What a drama-queen. Oh yes, quite the thespian. :roll: Church IS theater..at least in my experience. The headliner is the preacher and of course other stuff like singing and prayin is just to frame and spotlight the praychin...Got to have a song "before the lesson"...to get your mind right. Got to have a song "following the lesson". Got to coordinate them songs to try and re-inforce the lesson...because it is all about the big show of the praycher-man. His spotlight is only on a couple times a week then he is done. That is "the show" now everyone else just shut up and be a good audience and watch the show.

Hope this doesn't sound negative.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

It doesn't surprise me a preacher would have been into drama at one time. Many former preachers go into motivational speaking. They like to be on stage performing, this is their element.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I really don't think there is a connection between being CofC and being against theater arts. I never encountered anything like that. Maybe that is just something about your parents.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FinallyFree wrote:I really don't think there is a connection between being CofC and being against theater arts. I never encountered anything like that. Maybe that is just something about your parents.
There is definitely a connection. It's quite common in C of C. Not all are that way, of course, but many are, especially the old timers. And in earlier times (before cinema and film) many people looked down on theatrical people, street performers, etc. as being low lifes. It was not considered respectable.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Someone ought to make a movie called
The Last Temptation of Batsell Barrett Baxter
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Someone ought to make a movie called
The Last Temptation of Batsell Barrett Baxter
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I think some in cofc felt that participation in fine arts / theater arts, etc., was a primary cause of homosexuality.

Sorry for the highjack.....back to the OP concern.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~