Theater and arts

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Re: Theater and arts

Post by faithfyl »

Ivy wrote:I think some in cofc felt that participation in fine arts / theater arts, etc., was a primary cause of homosexuality.

Sorry for the highjack.....back to the OP concern.
That's an interesting theory. If I had been a boy, that might have been where my parents' concern was. That it was an effeminate type of interest or something.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Faithfyl, are you from a non-institutional CofC background?
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I'm not sure what non-institutional means? My parents were conservative C of C. It wasn't a one-cup church, though.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

The non-institutional group doesn't have kitchen in the church building or support orphans homes.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FinallyFree wrote:The non-institutional group doesn't have kitchen in the church building or support orphans homes.
The first C of C we went to was like this.

The next C of C we attended for many more years, did have a kitchen in the building. They didn't get a youth group until I was in high school. They sort of gradually became more progressive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

FinallyFree wrote:The non-institutional group doesn't have kitchen in the church building or support orphans homes.
I bet the non-institutionals are so scared of eating in a building they think if they were to try the fried chicken they would try to eat would come back together, mount on a coat rack, and cluck "RoyCogdill-a-doodle-doo!!!!" in protest of their sin. Then it would fly all over the church without a head and feathers and shit in all the food. Balaam had his ass and the noninstitutionals would have there clucking fried chicken. Only a sinner so hardened would refuse to heed the voice of a clucking fried chicken.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

faithfyl wrote:When I was growing up my parents discouraged me from getting involved in theater.
My husband grew up in the non-institutional church and he said that in the congregations he was familiar with, kids being involved in theater was frowned upon only if there was dancing. The feeling I got is that CoC folks were leery of anything that "exposed" their kids to the influence of the broader community.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I wondered if the dislike of theater and arts could be connected to the NI church community because I went to Lipscomb University (CofC college) and they had drama and arts classes and the social clubs put on shows. I am sure the other CofC colleges had that, too. Maybe Florida College does not.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

BH, have you been into the cooking sherry again? :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

Ivy wrote:I think some in cofc felt that participation in fine arts / theater arts, etc., was a primary cause of homosexuality.

Sorry for the highjack.....back to the OP concern.
Not sure that anyone I knew thought that certain areas or occupations "caused" homosexuality, but yes it was associated and not for nothing. But generally the more you are around something the more normal and acceptable it becomes, the less taboo, the less stigma. Marriage, Religious practice, drugs/alcohol, sex, language, dress, sex, body modification, etc can all be effected by environment and culture. There is a tendency to go with the flow on any number of issues. And certainly one is more encouraged go along with the group, to not stand out or differ...it is hard to remain different or opposed to the group or majority.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.