Theater and arts

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Re: Theater and arts

Post by faithfyl »

FinallyFree wrote:I wondered if the dislike of theater and arts could be connected to the NI church community because I went to Lipscomb University (CofC college) and they had drama and arts classes and the social clubs put on shows. I am sure the other CofC colleges had that, too. Maybe Florida College does not.
HU had NO drama department or theater department. Occasionally, some students would get together and perform a play but there was rarely money for the production.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

faithfyl wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:I wondered if the dislike of theater and arts could be connected to the NI church community because I went to Lipscomb University (CofC college) and they had drama and arts classes and the social clubs put on shows. I am sure the other CofC colleges had that, too. Maybe Florida College does not.
HU had NO drama department or theater department. Occasionally, some students would get together and perform a play but there was rarely money for the production.
Wow, I didn't know that.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Florida College has degree programs in Music and Fine Arts. This year the musical was South Pacific. h**p://www.floridacollege.edu/musical/
Probably even had guys in coconuts with makeup on. Nothing weird about that at all, we are all lumberjacks..
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FinallyFree wrote:
faithfyl wrote:
Wow, I didn't know that.
This was, of course, the 1980s. I still believe they don't have a theater department. Abilene Christian did, though. They were widely considered to be "liberal".
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Wow, I didn't know that.

This was, of course, the 1980s. I still believe they don't have a theater department. Abilene Christian did, though. They were widely considered to be "liberal".
That means they have men in leotards sometimes. :twisted: Nice sexy men in leotards make hetero men come down with the gay.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

My old NICOC was opposed to almost everything :D , and my family was about the most restrictive in the group. But I was allowed to participate in drama, and I remember my older sister acting in at least one play.
The independent local congregations can all go off on their own tangents, depending on the thoughts of the local preacher and other church leaders.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

faithfyl wrote:
If by HU, you mean Harding University, they most certainly did have a drama department in the 1980's. Drs. Ryan, Miller, and Ellis were very instrumental in teaching the classes. They put on a number of plays each year, most notably the homecoming musical. Also participated in one act competitions and what not. I started out as a drama major with plans to minor in English but decided to major in English instead. I took technological theater and helped sew backdrop scrims, costumes, etc. Some students went on to do live theater; some became speech and drama teachers.

Not sure Spring Sing qualifies, but it was and is quite the theatrical production, although open to all students and not limited to those majoring in the field.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I did not know a single theater major at HU. I also tried out for a role in a play, but it was scrapped due to budget cuts.

I totally forgot about the musical. I do remember they had an active chorale.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

In preschool I went to at the First Baptist Church many years and moons ago I was a little reindeer in the Christmas play. That's the last time I had any real part in a play. I had a little tail and got to wiggle it at the audience.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Harding had some kind of drama or theater department. When I was considering colleges, I looked at Harding out of consideration for friends of the family. They had no real communications/journalism program, but like all C of C schools, they had a "Speech" program, which is NOT the same thing. At Harding, I'd have had to take a theater class or two. I wasn't about to do that.

I used to get dirty looks if I mentioned an independent/art or foreign film. One church lady asked me why I couldn't just "go to movies everyone else goes to."

Mention the symphony or artists who sing standards, and I got the "that's high-class stuff. We're just good righteous country people, like they was in th' Biiiii-bul."