Attendance monitors

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: Attendance monitors

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:ha, that reminds me...I did the monitor thing on the head elders family one time. They created this pot luck at a park that was essentially a spiritual service but with food. It was the "first annual be thankful to God for what he has done" or some long title like that. And it was pushed from the pulpit for weeks in a not so subtle way that this is how we show thankfulness to God...I mean who doesn't want to be thankful....so why would you miss...that junk. It was a Saturday afternoon and shot most of the day of course but it wasn't going to count towards Sunday attendance.

Well the day rolls around and turns out the Head elders son and his family were not there since it was the head elder's granddaughters birthday party and it was already scheduled...and of course of friends of head elder family also went to the birthday party. But the rest of us schlubs better be out there at the park shelter being thankful to God with long prayers by a number of people and talks. oy

So Sunday the Head elder family is all together in their pews and I sauntered up to the front row and said loud enough for all to hear about how much we all missed them at the Thankfullness event. The head elder turned red...he already hated me anyway. I asked if they had were OK or had some illness...like I didn't already know. Then came the story about the already scheduled birthday party....and then I gave them ol' "well we sure missed yall and I sure hope yall are able to come next year". I was so sweet, sugar wouldn't melt in my mouth. I didn't make another year...go figure.

Steam was coming out of their ears but I just walked off all smiles.

KLP! That was an absolutely mean and unChristian thing to do! :?

On the other hand that is something I'd probably have done. Freakin hilarious! :twisted:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

Yes, "treating others as I would have them treat me" tends to be applied only to folks who have not already started some crap. For the crap starters, my first step is often to use the same treatment/argument when engaging them so that they hopefully will see their own behavior/argument. Let me just say that this almost never does any good...yet I feel I owe them an opportunity to repent, fully repent.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

I must say, this thread has been insanely amusing! :D
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:Yes, "treating others as I would have them treat me" tends to be applied only to folks who have not already started some crap. For the crap starters, my first step is often to use the same treatment/argument when engaging them so that they hopefully will see their own behavior/argument. Let me just say that this almost never does any good...yet I feel I owe them an opportunity to repent, fully repent.
I believe the Bible writers teach false doctrine when they say you should turn the other cheek. I've learned turning the other cheek only encourages people to do even more shit to you. When you throw shit back it stops.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Letmethink

Post by Letmethink »

klp wrote:ha, that reminds me...I did the monitor thing on the head elders family one time. They created this pot luck at a park that was essentially a spiritual service but with food. It was the "first annual be thankful to God for what he has done" or some long title like that. And it was pushed from the pulpit for weeks in a not so subtle way that this is how we show thankfulness to God...I mean who doesn't want to be thankful....so why would you miss...that junk. It was a Saturday afternoon and shot most of the day of course but it wasn't going to count towards Sunday attendance.

Well the day rolls around and turns out the Head elders son and his family were not there since it was the head elder's granddaughters birthday party and it was already scheduled...and of course of friends of head elder family also went to the birthday party. But the rest of us schlubs better be out there at the park shelter being thankful to God with long prayers by a number of people and talks. oy

So Sunday the Head elder family is all together in their pews and I sauntered up to the front row and said loud enough for all to hear about how much we all missed them at the Thankfullness event. The head elder turned red...he already hated me anyway. I asked if they had were OK or had some illness...like I didn't already know. Then came the story about the already scheduled birthday party....and then I gave them ol' "well we sure missed yall and I sure hope yall are able to come next year". I was so sweet, sugar wouldn't melt in my mouth. I didn't make another year...go figure.

Steam was coming out of their ears but I just walked off all smiles.
This is great! Perfect!

And quite a biblical principle, too!

If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
For you will heap burning coals on his head, And the LORD will reward you.

Thx for sharing klp.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Letmethink wrote:If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
I never understood the "heap burning coals" thing. If someone did that to me I'd have them arrested. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

Letmethink wrote: If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;

Thx for sharing klp.
Great reference.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Soaps

Post by Soaps »

kneedeep wrote:
Also, what does Hebrew 10:25 really mean for us Christians today? I know other demoninations stress attendance with great emphasis like the coc does.
I don't think anyone addressed this part of your post, so I'd like to give my thoughts. In context of the rest of the chapter, this verse definitely doesn't mean what we have all been raised to believe. Heb 10, and verses 1-18 is all about old testament sacrifices, and how the high priest would sacrifice once per year on the day of atonement, to roll the sins of the children of Israel forward to the next year. It was a repetitive thing. Jesus' sacrifice was once and for all, no more need for continuing to sacrifice for forgiveness of sins. (going back to Heb 9:13-14). All of this was only a shadow of what was to come with Jesus. We have full confidence that our sins are forgiven, once and for all, through his sacrifice. No more feeling guilty for the next year, until the next day of atonement, having to sacrifice again to be cleansed for another year. Continuing in verses 19-23, Paul (I believe the writer of Hebrews is Paul) talks about our full assurance of faith. Verse 10 starts with "THEREFORE". This word puts into context, that everything that was just explained: you're forgiven, you don't have to feel guilty, you don't have to live in condemnation....THEREFORE. These next verses is about our persevering in faith. Remembering that we are not condemned and do not have to live in guilt because of Jesus, Paul is giving us sound advice as to how to stay encouraged in our faith. Part of that is verse 25. Assembling together is wonderful for our spirits! To stay encouraged, to stay hungry after God. It is not a verse to be used to whip people into guilt for not coming to church.

All of that to say...how can anyone be encouraged in a CoC congregation. Very few, I would say. I believe this to be completely true, since leaving the CoC after 29 years in it. I now look forward to the worship service. It is exciting and uplifting. That's what this is talking about. Which I truly believe cannot be accomplished in a CoC group.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Soaps wrote:
kneedeep wrote:
Also, what does Hebrew 10:25 really mean for us Christians today? I know other demoninations stress attendance with great emphasis like the coc does.
I don't think anyone addressed this part of your post, so I'd like to give my thoughts. In context of the rest of the chapter, this verse definitely doesn't mean what we have all been raised to believe. Heb 10, and verses 1-18 is all about old testament sacrifices, and how the high priest would sacrifice once per year on the day of atonement, to roll the sins of the children of Israel forward to the next year. It was a repetitive thing. Jesus' sacrifice was once and for all, no more need for continuing to sacrifice for forgiveness of sins. (going back to Heb 9:13-14). All of this was only a shadow of what was to come with Jesus. We have full confidence that our sins are forgiven, once and for all, through his sacrifice. No more feeling guilty for the next year, until the next day of atonement, having to sacrifice again to be cleansed for another year. Continuing in verses 19-23, Paul (I believe the writer of Hebrews is Paul) talks about our full assurance of faith. Verse 10 starts with "THEREFORE". This word puts into context, that everything that was just explained: you're forgiven, you don't have to feel guilty, you don't have to live in condemnation....THEREFORE. These next verses is about our persevering in faith. Remembering that we are not condemned and do not have to live in guilt because of Jesus, Paul is giving us sound advice as to how to stay encouraged in our faith. Part of that is verse 25. Assembling together is wonderful for our spirits! To stay encouraged, to stay hungry after God. It is not a verse to be used to whip people into guilt for not coming to church.

All of that to say...how can anyone be encouraged in a CoC congregation. Very few, I would say. I believe this to be completely true, since leaving the CoC after 29 years in it. I now look forward to the worship service. It is exciting and uplifting. That's what this is talking about. Which I truly believe cannot be accomplished in a CoC group.

Thank you for providing a thorough explanation!! I think one of other person did respond to this question. I do agree with what you said about the uplifting part. The last few times I was reading other books instead of listening to the sermon. I'm also starting to get annoyed with the singing, which is sad. At one point I use to love the songs we sang. It weird how things change. Going to take a break from church this weekend. Hope to experience a more exciting worship service in the near future...minus the loud rock band music :lol:
KLP

Post by KLP »

no no no and again I say no 7 times ...Heb 10:25 is clearly about Sunday night and Wednesday night and all nights of Gospel Meetings. Have you not read? If ye have ears...