Remember "Singing Night"?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Remember "Singing Night"?

Post by Moogy »

On the last Wednesday night of each month, my old COCs would have a singing night. They took song suggestions from the congregation. Women were allowed to holler out a song number, though I am not sure why they made this exception to the usual rule on silence. I also don't know why we were allowed to sing, since that was not silence either. But I digress. I used to love singing night. No tedious verse-by-verse study, and most of the songs were more cheerful than the sermons. I was fortunate to go to churches where there were some good singers who could carry the different parts.

When I visited my parents after I left the COC, I was always glad to attend with them if it was singing night.

This morning at my Methodist church, we had song suggestions from the congregation, and that reminded me of the old days. We even sang "Nothing But the Blood." I didn't even know that one was in the Methodist Hymnal.

Do COCs still have singing on the last Wednesday of the month?
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Re: Remember "Singing Night"?

Post by Ivy »

For some reason, I didn't really like "singing night". Not sure what that was about.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

The church I grew up in would have a Friday night marathon singing night, maybe once a quarter. I never liked it. I can't really sing, so something like that doesn't mean that much to me.
Kiki Allez

Post by Kiki Allez »

Actually, singing night is probably the only fond memory I have of the church.
She needs to go forward.
flawed

Post by flawed »

Oh ya, it's still a thing. For us it's fifth Sunday night singing, and it's actually tonight.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

flawed wrote:Oh ya, it's still a thing. For us it's fifth Sunday night singing, and it's actually tonight.
Same here. Every last Sunday of the month. We also host an area wide singing event once a year in the summer. I still enjoy the area wide singing, but dont go every year.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Oh yeah, I enjoyed singing. Still like hymns, even though I don't believe.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Has anyone ever attended a Sacred Harp singing. It's people from all denominations (or even none) using shape note song books. I would like to try one sometime, but I haven'f found one nearby.
Moogy
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
KLP

Post by KLP »

I have been to many of them...I would say the non-religious ones are the most odd and least authentic in some respects. The non-religious ones tend to try and make the singing sound "prettier" IMO. I have been to big groups and small groups and a couple of state convention type singings. IN general, it is not for the faint hearted. Genders are pretty much equals if you don't consider that most of the food/meal work is done by the women folk.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

klp wrote:I have been to many of them...I would say the non-religious ones are the most odd and least authentic in some respects. The non-religious ones tend to try and make the singing sound "prettier" IMO. I have been to big groups and small groups and a couple of state convention type singings. IN general, it is not for the faint hearted. Genders are pretty much equals if you don't consider that most of the food/meal work is done by the women folk.
How do you find their meetings? I tried to track down some groups on the Internet, but some of the websites were seriously out-of-date.
Moogy