The discontinuation of Sunday evenings

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
MusicMan826

Re: The discontinuation of Sunday evenings

Post by MusicMan826 »

There was really no need for Sunday evening services. We only did it because...well, it's just what we did. Always did it that way and we weren't going to change. I remember it being such a pain in the ass to have to revolve our entire Sunday afternoon around making sure we were able to be back at 5:00. And although no one would admit it, I'm sure many people hated having to go back in the evening. I was shocked enough when the church I grew up in began cutting gospel meetings down to just Sunday through Wednesday. They did that once in a rare while when I was growing up, now it's the norm. I don't see them ever getting rid of Sunday evenings, but I guess you never know.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

The COC in the town near me still has something on both Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. We pass right by their building on the way to our house in the country. Every time I see a bunch of cars, I feel gladness in my heart that I am not there with them. :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:The COC in the town near me still has something on both Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. We pass right by their building on the way to our house in the country. Every time I see a bunch of cars, I feel gladness in my heart that I am not there with them. :lol:
:lol:

It's 6:17 on Sunday night right now, and I have gladness in my heart that I'm not there. :P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

MusicMan826 wrote:There was really no need for Sunday evening services. We only did it because...well, it's just what we did. Always did it that way and we weren't going to change. I remember it being such a pain in the ass to have to revolve our entire Sunday afternoon around making sure we were able to be back at 5:00. And although no one would admit it, I'm sure many people hated having to go back in the evening. I was shocked enough when the church I grew up in began cutting gospel meetings down to just Sunday through Wednesday. They did that once in a rare while when I was growing up, now it's the norm. I don't see them ever getting rid of Sunday evenings, but I guess you never know.
Kinda shot the day to hell. for sure.
cotjockey

Post by cotjockey »

A CofC near here has Bible class at 9:00 am, worship at 10:00 am, fellowship lunch at 11:00 am, and "evening service" at 12:00 pm. They have a lot of members who live far away and it isn't reasonable to expect people who live two hours away to go home and come back for a second service, so they do it all at once. They are small enough that they don't have a potluck type lunch. A different family is responsible for preparing a meal every week. We left the CofC long ago, but I would much rather have done this than have to drag myself back for an evening service and we lived within a few miles of the church building!