Obsession with Baptists

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Obsession with Baptists

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:There is a lady at work that is trying to get me to convert to Catholicism. It ain't gonna happen, but don't let anyone fool you the Catholics don' think their church is the one true church. :?
Wish I could be a fly on the wall while those conversations are happening. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

B.H. wrote:There is a lady at work that is trying to get me to convert to Catholicism. It ain't gonna happen, but don't let anyone fool you the Catholics don' think their church is the one true church. :?
B.H., are you saying Catholics DON'T or DO think their church is the one true church?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

They think their church is the one true one but are a lot nicer about it than the CoC are. I like talking to the lady when no one is in the store or we are on lunch. She seems to know her religion pretty good.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

B.H. wrote:They think their church is the one true one but are a lot nicer about it than the CoC are. I like talking to the lady when no one is in the store or we are on lunch. She seems to know her religion pretty good.
History appears to support their belief.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

FinallyFree wrote:
B.H. wrote:They think their church is the one true one but are a lot nicer about it than the CoC are. I like talking to the lady when no one is in the store or we are on lunch. She seems to know her religion pretty good.
Maybe back till around 250-350 AD. Before that thinks are murky and rely a lot on legend. And it is true they may read things into the Bible that supposedly prove Catholicism, or at least does not contradict it, a lot of times there is nothing that makes one accept it for what the Catholics say it is. Sure, they claim to have an inspired magisterium, but what the magisterium says is just its opinion too.

I am not Christian and want to stay out of their fights. They can get really bloody.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

B.H. wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:
Maybe back till around 250-350 AD. Before that thinks are murky and rely a lot on legend. And it is true they may read things into the Bible that supposedly prove Catholicism, or at least does not contradict it, a lot of times there is nothing that makes one accept it for what the Catholics say it is. Sure, they claim to have an inspired magisterium, but what the magisterium says is just its opinion too.

I am not Christian and want to stay out of their fights. They can get really bloody.
I just can't buy all of their teachings, despite how long they have been around.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Anytime I see Catholics or whatever making signs of the cross with their hands or other symbols with hteir hands I always think of the song "Hand Jive" from the 60's. I am not being disrespectful mentioning this, it is just the truth.
ena

Post by ena »

Struggler wrote: I agree that Baptists and C of C'ers agree on MUCH more than they disagree. Ditto for several other denominations. But they gotta be obsessed with the little details of disagreement, just like government lawyers.
Baptist use immersion but it is not out fear of sin but an act of obedience. In the COC the emphasis is on fear. The focus on sin does not occur elsewhere. I see it as paranoia.
ena

Post by ena »

Struggler wrote: I doubt the Baptists obsess over the C of C like that. None of my Baptist friends are like that, and in fact, most don't know that much about the C of C.
I have found this obsession weird.
I have attended Baptist Church for years. They do not even worry about the Church of Christ. Also they do not guilt you into baptism. What is noticeable is the lack of urgency about it. They trust God will take care of the believer. Not kill him and blame him for the lack of baptism. I note the thieves on the cross were saved. They died under the new covenant without baptism. According to the CoC they would have perished. According to Jesus they did not. I will believe Jesus. I have found the CoC lacking in many places. When I informed others about my CoC baptism, I repeatedly got comments that that is a works based church. They are faith based. The believe that salvation is faith based. Not that God has warmed up the BBQ for you. Many use contemporary music today. Ie Christian Rock. I have a Baptist friend that wears hearing protectors in church. I am looking for large red ones.
agricola

Post by agricola »

You are right, BH - BUT the RC also believe people can be saved 'outside' the church entirely - it is just that they believe those people are, in fact, still being saved 'through' the church, even though they don't know it.

Generous of them, I suppose.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.