"Friendly" Corrections

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
MissingLink

"Friendly" Corrections

Post by MissingLink »

Has anyone else dealt with coC folks "gently" doling out so-called corrections, in public?

The reason I ask is, my mom's birthday was awhile back, and on her Facebook I posted a meme-type photo of a dog with a birthday hat and the words "OMG IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY."

Cue a coC woman commenting on the photo, writing what was essentially a novel about how the phrase 'omg' is still "taking the Lord's name in vain" and therefore sinful. She essentially ruined what was supposed to be a cute birthday wish.

It being in a public space, like Facebook, made it even worse, because I knew the plethora of other coC people on my mom's friend list were all nodding their heads smugly.
agricola

Re: "Friendly" Corrections

Post by agricola »

you can delete that. you can block the woman. you can set your privacy so that only 'friends' can see your posts (and I assume she is not a friend). If she is a friend of your mother's, she can see and comment on your post - but it will show up on your mother's page after all, rather than yours.

Basically - try to let it roll off your back.Shrug. She's brainwashed.

Try not to assume what other people think - you will usually not be right, anyway, and it only serves to stress you out, and does nothing to change them, anyway.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Alternatively, you could start a nasty argument with a stranger on your mother's page. I don't recommend it.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

It's the "holier than thou" thing.....always highly obnoxious.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
MissingLink

Post by MissingLink »

agricola wrote:you can delete that. you can block the woman. you can set your privacy so that only 'friends' can see your posts (and I assume she is not a friend). If she is a friend of your mother's, she can see and comment on your post - but it will show up on your mother's page after all, rather than yours.

Basically - try to let it roll off your back.Shrug. She's brainwashed.

Try not to assume what other people think - you will usually not be right, anyway, and it only serves to stress you out, and does nothing to change them, anyway.
Yeah, I have zero desire to start a facebook argument, coC-related or not.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Ivy wrote:It's the "holier than thou" thing.....always highly obnoxious.
Very true, Ivy. Some C o C folks have to display their "holiness" by correcting those whom they think are wrong on something.

Many years ago my C o C girlfriend(whom I call "Miss Narrow Mind) and her whole family jumped on me for saying "Gee." They all let me know that "Gee" really means "Jesus" and wasn't acceptable.

Glad I got away from that legaiistic garbage.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

You would think the CoC - proudly self proclaiming themselves as Bible scholars - would easily recognize themselves as being Pharisees. The CoC's "holier than thou" attitude is "obnoxious" among a host of other self-righteous quirks.
Unity in diversity
musicman

Post by musicman »

lvmaus wrote:
You would think the CoC - proudly self proclaiming themselves as Bible scholars - would easily recognize themselves as being Pharisees. The CoC's "holier than thou" attitude is "obnoxious" among a host of other self-righteous quirks.
C o C can't see itself as the Pharisees. It's always right and everybody else wrong; can't see the speck in someone else's eye due to the log in its own!
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

One time I got into an argument with the Spanish mission preacher here about twenty years ago. We were discussing what forgiveness meant and whether people should still be punished if they are sincerely repentant.

He argued you should still be punished while I argued, or tried to argue that you shouldn't be though restitution and natural consequences of an act are different than what I regard as a punishment. He cut me off and told me it was God's way to forgive but still punish and I was going to hell by opposing that. I told him his ideas were idiotic and the threat of hell was a lame excuse to cover that he could not refute my argument. He just stood there, blinked, and offered me a cup of coffee and changed the subject. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lev

Post by Lev »

This is something that I've really had a hard time 'letting go' since leaving the COC. I see things that I would previously have commented on (such as the OMG = God's name in vain) and the best I can do now is to hold my tongue and not say anything. Still working on not even thinking it.

Lev