How did you get into the church of Christ? SURVEY

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

How did you get into the church of Christ?

Born into a multiple-generation COC family (either one or both of your parents were born to COC members)
59%
Born into a first-generation COC family (parent/s were converts before your birth)
14%
Parent/s converted while you were a minor
No votes
Converted while still a child/teen, but your parents weren't COC
2%
Converted as an adult
7%
Converted under the influence of a spouse/romantic partner
9%
Converted under the influence of a non-parental relative
No votes
COC was nearby, you went there and got converted
3%
Searched the Scriptures, then went looking for a church that matched your understanding of the truth
2%
Other
3%

Total votes: 90

Moogy

Re: How did you get into the church of Christ? SURVEY

Post by Moogy »

singing with drums wrote:Hi folks, I'm back, after months of trying to find you again, not consistly, so no worries.
My dad's family was CoC "since the Lipscomb days," to quote his brother. Mom's baptism was "a last ditch effort to save a failing marriage," to quote Mom.
I guess I could have clicked on of the first two poll choices.
Mom and Dad split up after three years. I am the eldest of three kids. Wow.
Mom raised us in the CoC, because she thought it was the Right Thing To Do.
She is still CoC. Dad died at 44, CoC. We didn't know him much. My brother is Catholic, I am Methodist, my angry sister attends a Community church. Mom says that we are all Christians. That's a relatively new observation from her. She is eighty now, and a softer person than she was in years past.
For what it's worth.
I have missed this forum.
Glad you are back! BTW, on this survey you can choose more than one option. :D
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

The survey seems to confirm the obvious that the c of c gets most of its members from within by birth. That is probably true for denominational churches too.

I recently read an article indicating baptisms in the Southern Baptist Church have not changed significantly since 1950. I think that is probably true for the c of c too and most other churches too.
gladILeft

Post by gladILeft »

i grew up going 3 x a week...but my parents were brought in as orphans...they were raised by ex-lutherans who converted to the COC. I'm now 12 years free from the COC...don't go anywhere and don't expect I ever will...just got tired of people being people and what not...
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Cootie Brown wrote:The survey seems to confirm the obvious that the c of c gets most of its members from within by birth. That is probably true for denominational churches too.

I recently read an article indicating baptisms in the Southern Baptist Church have not changed significantly since 1950. I think that is probably true for the c of c too and most other churches too.
I think those of us who grew up in the COC are more likely to need/want/find value in an exers forum like this. The more deeply we were enmeshed, the more damage was done. Just My Opinion.
Moogy
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
flawed

Post by flawed »

Totally agree, Moogy.
ena

Post by ena »

Moogy wrote: I think those of us who grew up in the COC are more likely to need/want/find value in an exers forum like this. The more deeply we were enmeshed, the more damage was done. Just My Opinion.
You are correct. You can leave the CoC. But getting it to leave your mind is tough. They are so many hooks used. This is not unique to the CoC. Others have their issues. It is amazingly important to find the truth. There is very little today.
flawed

Post by flawed »

So true Moogy. This place has been the most important part of overcoming my years of brain washing.
sonicrainkrieg42

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

I'm coc royalty on my mother's side. My papaw is the elder at their congregation, and my great grandpa was an elder before he passed away.

I've never talked to my dad about his religion, but I think he's some sort of neopagan. Probably one of the reasons they got divorced when I was a toddler. Of course, they're "still married in the eyes of God." :roll:
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I grew up Methodist, and as an adult I didn't agree with some of the teachings in my church vs. what the Bible said, so I went searching online. Found a message board with multiple denominations debating one another, and I joined in. Connected one-on-one with a coc'er who eventually got me in touch with someone local to me when I expressed my desire to be baptized by immersion.

Less than 2 years later I married coc "royalty" who was also a preacher, and within 4 years of my baptism, I had left the church (I guess that's another topic for another thread, though).
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Wanderer wrote:I grew up Methodist, and as an adult I didn't agree with some of the teachings in my church vs. what the Bible said, so I went searching online. Found a message board with multiple denominations debating one another, and I joined in. Connected one-on-one with a coc'er who eventually got me in touch with someone local to me when I expressed my desire to be baptized by immersion.

Less than 2 years later I married coc "royalty" who was also a preacher, and within 4 years of my baptism, I had left the church (I guess that's another topic for another thread, though).
Being a preacher’s wife has got to be hard, even if you do agree with all the doctrine. Being a preacher’s kid is also difficult. I managed to avoid those roles. I was just the daughter of a hard-core conservative COC royalty mom, and that was hard enough. :cry:
Moogy