How did you get into the church of Christ? SURVEY

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

How did you get into the church of Christ?

Born into a multiple-generation COC family (either one or both of your parents were born to COC members)
59%
Born into a first-generation COC family (parent/s were converts before your birth)
14%
Parent/s converted while you were a minor
No votes
Converted while still a child/teen, but your parents weren't COC
2%
Converted as an adult
7%
Converted under the influence of a spouse/romantic partner
9%
Converted under the influence of a non-parental relative
No votes
COC was nearby, you went there and got converted
3%
Searched the Scriptures, then went looking for a church that matched your understanding of the truth
2%
Other
3%

Total votes: 90

Cootie Brown

Re: How did you get into the church of Christ? SURVEY

Post by Cootie Brown »

I think we were deceived by the Devil himself, who was cleverly disguised as a "Gospel Preacher", that wanted us to have a bible study with him.

I wondered, at the time, why he had horns growing out the side of his head. :o
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I was born into a 1st generation C of C family.
war eagle disciple

Post by war eagle disciple »

the coc tradition in my family started on my moms side. not sure how many generations it spanned but my grandmother on my moms side was coc. she was from rural middle tennessee which might as well be the church of christ mecca. she converted my grandfather who was a methodist to being a "member of the lords church". after that they raised their kids in the church. my father was converted to "true christianity" in his early 20s. then he met my mom and had me and my brother. it's safe to say that I am one of the only people in my family that has been able to keep a christian faith without being church of christ. sometimes I am thankful for my spiritual background and other times not. I am passionate about the stone campbell movement and what the original leaders were trying to convey. I just feel like the coc eventually went overboard and lost sight of what the movement was really about. I would imagine the largest percentage of people in the church of christ don't even know what the stone campbell movement was. no idea of their history whatsoever which is sad
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Thanks for joining us, eagle. :P
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Hi war eagle
Opie

Post by Opie »

Hi war eagle. I seriously doubt that the CoC wants its members to know and be aware of the history of the Stone-Campbell Movement. If the members knew the truth about the CoC, they would quickly realize that it is really just another denomination instead of the "One True Church" they claim to be.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
KLP

Post by KLP »

hello, and yes agreed, many many now do it out of generational habit and really can't argue or reason out the doctrinal basis...but just follow the well worn verse references. And therefore that would also apply to many who leave the cofc,,,they never really understood it and so end up changing to something that is merely different but somewhat they same. the point being these things are not always logic/reason based for why folks stay or leave. Welcome
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

As others have noted people are reluctant to give up a deeply held emotional belief. Anything that challenges such a belief is often either just ignored or rationalized so that deeply held belief is protected.

It is very difficult to get anyone to change their mind about something they deeply believe in. Generally a person will not change their mind unless or until they find a flaw or problem with their belief that disturbs them. That's human nature & we are all do it.
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

Hi folks, I'm back, after months of trying to find you again, not consistly, so no worries.
My dad's family was CoC "since the Lipscomb days," to quote his brother. Mom's baptism was "a last ditch effort to save a failing marriage," to quote Mom.
I guess I could have clicked on of the first two poll choices.
Mom and Dad split up after three years. I am the eldest of three kids. Wow.
Mom raised us in the CoC, because she thought it was the Right Thing To Do.
She is still CoC. Dad died at 44, CoC. We didn't know him much. My brother is Catholic, I am Methodist, my angry sister attends a Community church. Mom says that we are all Christians. That's a relatively new observation from her. She is eighty now, and a softer person than she was in years past.
For what it's worth.
I have missed this forum.
God is good.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

singing!!! You're back!!! So very glad to see you posting again.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~