How did you get into the church of Christ? SURVEY

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

How did you get into the church of Christ?

Born into a multiple-generation COC family (either one or both of your parents were born to COC members)
59%
Born into a first-generation COC family (parent/s were converts before your birth)
14%
Parent/s converted while you were a minor
No votes
Converted while still a child/teen, but your parents weren't COC
2%
Converted as an adult
7%
Converted under the influence of a spouse/romantic partner
9%
Converted under the influence of a non-parental relative
No votes
COC was nearby, you went there and got converted
3%
Searched the Scriptures, then went looking for a church that matched your understanding of the truth
2%
Other
3%

Total votes: 90

Grace1973

Re: How did you get into the church of Christ? SURVEY

Post by Grace1973 »

My Mom was 7th Day Adventist and became a member of the cofc around 22 years of age. My Father was a Methodist but joined the church due to my Mom's influence, all before I was born.
ena

Post by ena »

Grace1973 wrote:My Mom was 7th Day Adventist and became a member of the cofc around 22 years of age. My Father was a Methodist but joined the church due to my Mom's influence, all before I was born.
Wow that is quite a mix. My parents met in the Methodist Church and converted before I was born. I think my dad was convinced that the baptism was better. While my parents were not as party line. The Church rubbed off on me in the wrong way. As a child I did not have equipment to judge what I was hearing. I came here wondering why the experience was so negative. I now know it was the attitude expressed. Fortunately you are born with a moral rudder. You just have to learn how to use it.
nivensimani

Post by nivensimani »

I'm not really clear on how my family (both sides) got into it. I discovered my paternal great grandfather converted to Church of Christ after living in a household where my 2nd great grandmother (his mom) was Jehovah's Witness. But I also think my grandmother and her side (she married my great grandfather's son) converted to Church of Christ before getting married. Then there's my mother's side. They clearly deviated from Baptist because I don't know any others on my maternal side who are Church of Christ. I'm not clear on how or why they converted.

I was forced into it clearly lol but I am free now
tifarmer

Post by tifarmer »

A lot of good stories on this topic. Of course, many of them reflect heartache and torn families when they were happening. I'm viewing them all from a comfortable position, treating them as irreverent entertainment.

In my own family, my father (so it is told) became a member of The Church as a condition of marrying my mother, who was a CoC preacher's daughter. Whether his was a "conversion experience" is doubtful. I don't suppose getting dunked was a particularly painful experience, in any case.

I will relate one seriously painful "conversion," however. One of my CoC first cousins wanted to marry a young independent Bible church woman. Her condition for marriage: circumcision. For him. Yep, at age 24, he got cirked. He'd been an easy-going, cheerful sort. Under her tutelage, he became a Baptist preacher of some stripe. Hellfire, brimstone, baptizing the same bunch of kids over and over and boasting of the large numbers in the church bulletin. He must've found some comfort in that vicious environment. Perhaps reminded him of his childhood.

Humans are strange animals, innit.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I was raised Church of Christ though daddy converted from Baptist after marrying momma. We all were the nonclass variety a great grandfather was a deacon and a great great uncle an elder. We started going to a main linecchur h becausecthe nonclass one just couldntcstay open anymorecdue to deaths and moves. The one cuppers had set up a church a few years before and were actually up to 50 members at the time. They had a stink with our chur h so mom didnt want to go there. She went to the big mainline church in town because her cousin went there. Most of the surviving members of the nonclass church went to the one on beaton st. One or two went to the one cup church but I was ccx told would always tell them to stuff when someone tried to badmouth our church.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I think shlybluz takes the prize for the most interesting and bizarre story!
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

tifarmer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 am

I will relate one seriously painful "conversion," however. One of my CoC first cousins wanted to marry a young independent Bible church woman. Her condition for marriage: circumcision. For him. Yep, at age 24, he got cirked. He'd been an easy-going, cheerful sort. Under her tutelage, he became a Baptist preacher of some stripe. Hellfire, brimstone, baptizing the same bunch of kids over and over and boasting of the large numbers in the church bulletin. He must've found some comfort in that vicious environment. Perhaps reminded him of his childhood.

Makes me wonder how that Bible-strict young woman knew (before the marriage) that he was uncircumcised. :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Moogy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:20 pm [quote=tifarmer post_id=45163 time=<a href="tel:1624203300">1624203300</a> user_id=797]

Makes me wonder how that Bible-strict young woman knew (before the marriage) that he was uncircumcised. :lol:
[/quote]

Why was this even an issue? I thought only Jews had to be circumcised.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Well - Jews and Muslims.

(How DID she know? maybe she just asked??)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
shlybluz

Post by shlybluz »

FinallyFree wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:26 am I think shlybluz takes the prize for the most interesting and bizarre story!
Thank you :D It does seem quite strange with having many years away from it; but knowing how my father operated it makes total sense.