Did you ever wonder what others in the cOC did for fun?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

Re: Did you ever wonder what others in the cOC did for fun?

Post by Struggler »

I wasn't allowed to participate in anything that would interfere with missing a service. We were expected to be there every time the damn door was open. Gospel Meetings, Vacation Bible School and whatever took priority over everything. There were times we might not even have all our schoolwork done, but by golly, we were there for good ol' preachin'!

Any time we had any sort of friends over, it was always the kids from church. My birthday "celebrations" were turned into stuff for the church kids, and I was never allowed to invite the neighborhood children, who I played and went to school with every day.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

In my day the adults played 42. That was pretty much what they did when they'd get together with fellow church members.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Ivy wrote:In my day the adults played 42. That was pretty much what they did when they'd get together with fellow church members.
And don't forget potluck dinners!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
KLP

Post by KLP »

oh man, no one plays 42 here...they all play Euchre which I have come to love. I have tried getting a 42 app for my phone but I am too cheap.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

My parents belonged to a group of married couples at church who got together about once a month to have a dinner with a NATIONAL THEME. Like, say, 'Italy', and they'd eat spaghetti. Or 'France' and they'd have something 'French'. You know: exotic meals. They'd get dressed up like they did for church.

I THINK a few people played bridge, but my parents never did. Mother said cards were Satan's Bible and we weren't allowed to have a card deck in the house (except Old Maid). That gave me a lot of difficulty in college when I took Statistics, because the teacher kept using a card deck to illustrate chance and probability - and I didn't know what a 'suit' was or a 'knave' or a 'jack' (apparently the same thing) and I didn't know how many cards were in a deck....hopeless.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Actually the Catholic deck has 7 more cards. They usually have the two jokers, instructions, printing info, and spare blanks.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

klp wrote:Actually the Catholic deck has 7 more cards. They usually have the two jokers, instructions, printing info, and spare blanks.
whoa. I have enough trouble with 52!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I always wanted to go to other kids' houses but rarely ever got the chance. I wondered how they lived, where they lived, what they did at home.
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:In my day the adults played 42. That was pretty much what they did when they'd get together with fellow church members.
I love 42. I miss 84 which uses a double set and different scoring. We set up a friend with a pat hand when he left to go to the bathroom. The smile on his face was detectable during the bidding. We gave him a run of sixes plus doubles. He could not afford to lose the bid. Any other trump would have been a loser for him. Talk about pressure.

I call it: Church of Christ cards!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

ena wrote:
I love 42. I miss 84 which uses a double set and different scoring. We set up a friend with a pat hand when he left to go to the bathroom. The smile on his face was detectable during the bidding. We gave him a run of sixes plus doubles. He could not afford to lose the bid. Any other trump would have been a loser for him. Talk about pressure.

I call it: Church of Christ cards!
The most fun and memorable times I had were when Mom and Dad's friends would invite us over after Sunday night service for 42 and sandwiches.....we'd play with their kids, if they had them. I loved it.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~