The impact of fundamentalism

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Cootie Brown

Re: The impact of fundamentalism

Post by Cootie Brown »

I think I need to correct a misconception that it seems you have. I do not struggle with pride and I'm sorry to learn that you do. You have apparently misinterpreted my self confidence as pride. Since pride is considered a sin by most Christians I can understand why a believer would struggle with it.

As I've previously noted sin only exist within the religious realm, and since I am not associated in any way with that realm it is not possible for me to sin.I am only subject to the secular laws within the jurisdiction where I reside. And I am not aware of any secular law that prohibits anyone from being self confident. That is actually considered a good thing by most people.

I do understand and sympathize with the blight Christians find themselves in though, because so many things Christians do & even think about can probably be classified as sin by somebody. That is truly a heavy burden to bear every day of one's life.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

CbroX27 wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:CR. I will address one of the points you noted. Sin is defined as the breaking of a law, rule, or command found in the Bible. It also extends to rules,laws, traditions etc. that the church imposes on their members. Sin only exists within the religious realm. In the secular world what you call sin is the breaking of a law or ordinance established by local, state, & national legislatures.

Serious offenses are called felonies & the punishment is more severe for those, but no one will be burnt alive forever as Christians loving God promises to do.

No you haven't addressed the questions that I asked, you are bobbing and weaving like Ali.

So you believe in a moral law? So the government sets the bar on what is moral and what is not moral?
You are a little slow to catch on, so I'll clue you in. Debates are pointless. I don't debate. I also do not allow my opponent to set the agenda. In other words I don't participate in Q & A's because they are as pointless as debates.

You are free to give me your reasons for being a Christian. If I see something in your list that interest me I'll let you know & request more information.

I've already provided you the reason's why I am not a believer. You have rejected my reasons, which is your right, so there is no reason for me to restate them.
CbroX27

Post by CbroX27 »

Cootie Brown wrote:I think I need to correct a misconception that it seems you have. I do not struggle with pride and I'm sorry to learn that you do. You have apparently misinterpreted my self confidence as pride. Since pride is considered a sin by most Christians I can understand why a believer would struggle with it.

As I've previously noted sin only exist within the religious realm, and since I am not associated in any way with that realm it is not possible for me to sin.I am only subject to the secular laws within the jurisdiction where I reside. And I am not aware of any secular law that prohibits anyone from being self confident. That is actually considered a good thing by most people.

I do understand and sympathize with the blight Christians find themselves in though, because so many things Christians do & even think about can probably be classified as sin by somebody. That is truly a heavy burden to bear every day of one's life.

This is why the way we define things matters. You seem to be able to get to define words that have meanings the way that you want them to be, but when in debate you also get to define them for the other person too. Its quite brilliant and in your mind you always get to win because you are the one that gets to make the rules as they go. But you just keep exposing yourself as not being intellectually honest.

You said you were arrogant,(and I related with you in that)... but now you say that is not pride? It is actually prideful to say that you do not struggle with pride...that is a prideful statement. Now you use the language of self confidence as if to somehow lessen the blow by the admission that you said you were arrogant before... but now you say self-confidence? So self-confidence means arrogant? Or am I just misinterpreting the way in which you get to define the meaning of words as we go along. That's quite amusing.

You put the confession of my sin of struggling with pride, twist it...then lift yourself up on an even higher moral pedestal than you were before. In your attempt to squash me further in my shame, you have done so...and I admitted loss from my first comment. In that loss, I urge for you to cut me more.
CbroX27

Post by CbroX27 »

Cootie Brown wrote:
CbroX27 wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:CR. I will address one of the points you noted. Sin is defined as the breaking of a law, rule, or command found in the Bible. It also extends to rules,laws, traditions etc. that the church imposes on their members. Sin only exists within the religious realm. In the secular world what you call sin is the breaking of a law or ordinance established by local, state, & national legislatures.

Serious offenses are called felonies & the punishment is more severe for those, but no one will be burnt alive forever as Christians loving God promises to do.

No you haven't addressed the questions that I asked, you are bobbing and weaving like Ali.

So you believe in a moral law? So the government sets the bar on what is moral and what is not moral?
You are a little slow to catch on, so I'll clue you in. Debates are pointless. I don't debate. I also do not allow my opponent to set the agenda. In other words I don't participate in Q & A's because they are as pointless as debates.

You are free to give me your reasons for being a Christian. If I see something in your list that interest me I'll let you know & request more information.

I've already provided you the reason's why I am not a believer. You have rejected my reasons, which is your right, so there is no reason for me to restate them.

So now I am slow. Thank you for the clue, because I did need that clue. Here is a clue to you and to anyone who may read this support group.

This thread was about the impact of fundamentalism. Anyone who reads the responses back and forth between Cootie and myself can see the far reaching impact of fundamentalism. Just as many of us have all been effected by the coC, its legalism, its ability to take someone brokenness in their sin and shame and expose it to lift themselves up...we need to be careful when we separate from the coC that we are not just getting rid of a label and then self-identifying as something else but keeping all the same horrible traits.

A Christ without grace is no Christ at all...Blessings
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

:mrgreen: p
CbroX27 wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:I think I need to correct a misconception that it seems you have. I do not struggle with pride and I'm sorry to learn that you do. You have apparently misinterpreted my self confidence as pride. Since pride is considered a sin by most Christians I can understand why a believer would struggle with it.

This is why the way we define things matters. You seem to be able to get to define words that have meanings the way that you want them to be, but when in debate you also get to define them for the other person too. Its quite brilliant and in your mind you always get to win because you are the one that gets to make the rules as they go. But you just keep exposing yourself as not being intellectually honest.

You said you were arrogant,(and I related with you in that)... but now you say that is not pride? It is actually prideful to say that you do not struggle with pride...that is a prideful statement. Now you use the language of self confidence as if to somehow lessen the blow by the admission that you said you were arrogant before... but now you say self-confidence? So self-confidence means arrogant? Or am I just misinterpreting the way in which you get to define the meaning of words as we go along. That's quite amusing.

You put the confession of my sin of struggling with pride, twist it...then lift yourself up on an even higher moral pedestal than you were before. In your attempt to squash me further in my shame, you have done so...and I admitted loss from my first comment. In that loss, I urge for you to cut me more.

Correct, that is how a good debater controls their opponent & the debate and that is also why debating is pointless. I told you I was trained by the Church of Christ.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Speaking as a MODERATOR:

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE FORUM. THIS IS A SUPPORT FORUM.

I am closing this thread.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.