The impact of fundamentalism

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: The impact of fundamentalism

Post by KLP »

Didn't work with you? Did you remember to get the kids clean and calm before you hubby came home from a hard day at work? And to have your hair done and makeup on? And to have the AC on so the house is cool, and to keep everyone quiet so the house is a welcome retreat for the hard working hubby? Oh and have supper cooking so the house is filled with good aroma...(ixnay of the broccoli-at smell).

How could this not work for you Ivy?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:Didn't work with you? Did you remember to get the kids clean and calm before you hubby came home from a hard day at work? And to have your hair done and makeup on? And to have the AC on so the house is cool, and to keep everyone quiet so the house is a welcome retreat for the hard working hubby? Oh and have supper cooking so the house is filled with good aroma...(ixnay of the broccoli-at smell).

How could this not work for you Ivy?
:lol:

Well, DH was usually home from work before I was, so he would have all this done before I got there.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Letmethink

Post by Letmethink »

Really good list Agri. I'll check out the whole article.
Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

Ivy wrote:
klp wrote:Sounds like yall need to read that Fascinating Womanhood book. It is available at CofC bookstores and Amazon. I see they have an updated version now. The reviews on Amazon are a treat.
I think I actually read that!!! It didn't work with me. :lol:

Wait. Just looked at the date published.....1982......no, don't think I read that one. Wasn't there a similar book that came out in the early 70s? Trying to remember.....ok, that WAS it......it was originally published in 1963.
That book was given to me by an older lady in the church when I was 13 years old. She told me it would help me get a husband. *sigh* Instead, a friend and I would read passages of it out loud to each other and laugh until we cried. Good times. :lol:
I know a little about a lot of things...just enough to make me dangerous.
http://normalisnotanoption.blogspot.com
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

My sister read Fascinating Womanhood back in the early 80s, bought it at the Harding campus bookstore. :roll:
ena

Post by ena »

[quote="agricola"

Here's the list:
You are worthless.
God hates you, unless you love him.
Obedience is love.
Punishment is love.
The Bible is infallible and not to be questioned.
The pastor is infallible and not to be questioned.
Our interpretation of all Scripture is without error and not to be questioned.
Outside the church bubble waits evil.
Everyone who is different should be feared.
Bad things happen to you because God is trying to teach you a lesson.
Bad things happen to you because God let Satan tempt you.
Bad things happen to you as a punishment for disobedience.
Depression is a sign of sin in your life.
To resist what you are taught is to rebel against God.
Women have to cover themselves so as not to tempt men.
If a man lusts after a woman it’s her fault.
Women need to submit to male authority over them.
There are many things girls can’t do.
Men are more important than women.
A woman who is raped must forgive her rapist and not report it to the authorities, in order that the rapist, his family, and the church remain protected from outsiders.
Children are to be seen and not heard.
Children need to have their will broken through painful “child-training” and punishment.
A child who is not hit until he or she screams will not learn.
Our church is the only true church; all others churches are filled with Christians who are untrue and destined for hell.
Catholics aren’t Christians. They are idol worshippers.
You are so full of sin God can’t even look at you.
When the Communists take over America and force us to burn all of our Bibles, you’ll need to have memorized it so they can’t take away what is written on your heart.

Those are lies. And they are deeply damaging.
.[/quote]

I am a deeply damaged person from much of this from being blasted as a child. I have found literal mistakes in the Bible. The New Testament was written by human beings not God. I do not call it the word of God because God did not write it. Matthews genealogy in chapter 1 is not a genealogy. Joram jumps to his great great grand son.
OT.............Matthew 1

David..........David
Solomon.......Solomon
Rehoboam.....Roboam
Abijah..........Abia
Asa..............Asaph
Jehoshaphat..Josephat
Joram..........Joram 1 Chronicles 3:11, 12
Ahaziah........------
Joash...........------
Amaziah.......------
Azariah........Ozias
Jotham........Joatham
Ahaz...........Achaz
Hezekiah......Ezekias
Manasseh......Manasses
Amon...........Amos
Josiah..........Josias
Jehoiakim......------- 1 Chronicles 3:17
Jeconiah.......Jechonias
Pedaiah........Salathiel
Zerubbabel....Zorobabel

Spelling differences are because Hebrew and Greek have different alphabets. The transliteration varies when brought to English. I do not know why Pedaiah is so different from Salathiel. Maybe your Rabbi knows? Supposedly the ones left out were cursed lines. Have fun! I know of no way an apologist can attack this one plus Matthew is one guy short of his 3 X 14 generation scheme. He gives 41 names when he needs 42.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Rabbis don't care about genealogies in the NT.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:Rabbis don't care about genealogies in the NT.
Understood. :) I gave this particular example because one has to be in error. I don't believe it is the OT in this case because the author of Matthew was errant elsewhere. I believe the belief in innerrancy causes the Bible to be used in ways it should not be. There are many examples with in my own up bringing in the CoC. The problem is that you cannot ask the author how stringently it was meant. Or if the claimed author was really the Author. The gospel of Matthew has the tradition as being written by him dating to the 2nd century. There are early church fathers that though so. The work is anonymous. Matthew was used to identify it. The Apostles were probably illiterate. They were too busy finding their next meal. You can not gleen everything about the 1st century from the Bible. Only some things.

t
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

You've made an excellent point ena, and I will take it one step further. There was only one gospel story & the origins & author remain unknown. The original story was identified as Q. That manuscript has been lost, and some scholars are not convinced it even existed. The manuscript that was eventually labeled as Mark for identification purposes has been accepted as the original story, or at least the one most likely the closest to the original.

This story, most notably, did not end with a resurrection of the demigod identified as Jesus. The ending was later revised and a resurrection was added. The other 3 gospels are modified copies of Mark. Each one was copied and specifically modified for the intended recipient of the manuscript. The version identified as John is clearly Gnostic & it is somewhat surprising that version even survived due to the conflicts between the Gnostic's & Orthodox camps.

Bible scholars, not apologist, tend to lean towards the gospel story being fictional having been created by Jewish midrash. In other words OT scripture was used to create a new story. Christians today obviously do not accept that as being true. A major problem for historians is that, at least so far, they cannot find a historical Jesus. If such a person actually existed He failed to leave an independent historical footprint.

The only place this Jesus character is found is in the gospel story. As noted, the idea the Bible is inerrant is based on tradition not actual historical evidence, but that isn't a problem for the faithful, for it is by faith that they believe.
ena

Post by ena »

Cootie Brown wrote:You've made an excellent point ena, and I will take it one step further. There was only one gospel story & the origins & author remain unknown. The original story was identified as Q. That manuscript has been lost, and some scholars are not convinced it even existed. The manuscript that was eventually labeled as Mark for identification purposes has been accepted as the original story, or at least the one most likely the closest to the original.
Q stands the German Quelle. This is German thinking from the 1800's when Germany held leadership in theological thought. This was fueled by money from color dies from coal tars. They made major advances in chemistry and engineering. When WWII started they were a real threat. If not for the fact that Hitler was a bungler who would not listen to facts we would be speaking German. The problem is that Matthew and Luke appear to have a Mark base but they both have additional stuff. They do not always agree. As I understand some of the Greek was outright copied from Mark. But I do not read Greek, yet. Much of what we have come from oral stories that circulated about Jesus. The Gospels that Paul probably never read one. He died under Nero by beheading. Nero died in 68 CE. Nero was a sick sick dude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_source

We do not have originals of anything only hand made copies including mistakes and changes. There was no paper in the Western until around the 13 century. The idea of people carrying little black bibles did not exist. Any Church was lucky if it had a Bible by 400 CE. Constantine ordered 50 copies to be made. The Constantine Bible would probably not be complete if we had one. Even a Bible of 400 AD would have disputed texts. The first time that all the books in the NT were mentioned was 367 CE. It was the 39 Festal Letter of Athanasius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_letter
Last edited by ena on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.