The impact of fundamentalism

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

The impact of fundamentalism

Post by agricola »

h**p://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistc ... content=57

I found this essay interesting, because so many of the author's points about being raised (specifically, raised in, not converted into as an adult) a fundamentalist church environment is so damaging and the aftereffects so lasting, really resonated with me and the way I was raised. I often feel that I am roughly twenty years 'delayed socially' due to the twenty (plus) years I spent in that environment.

There are - admittedly - 'worse' groups than any coc, however the coc overall is within this same backwater which leads to (sometimes) headlines and court cases. Because the coc is 'measles' and some churches are 'smallpox', is that supposed to make a case of it less impactful? The argument that 'other people have it worse' is rarely comforting!

Here's the list:

I was raised a fundamentalist Christian. Here is some of what we were taught, both explicitly and in a million different little ways, every single day of our lives:
You are worthless.
God hates you, unless you love him.
Obedience is love.
Punishment is love.
The Bible is infallible and not to be questioned.
The pastor is infallible and not to be questioned.
Our interpretation of all Scripture is without error and not to be questioned.
Outside the church bubble waits evil.
Everyone who is different should be feared.
Bad things happen to you because God is trying to teach you a lesson.
Bad things happen to you because God let Satan tempt you.
Bad things happen to you as a punishment for disobedience.
Depression is a sign of sin in your life.
To resist what you are taught is to rebel against God.
Women have to cover themselves so as not to tempt men.
If a man lusts after a woman it’s her fault.
Women need to submit to male authority over them.
There are many things girls can’t do.
Men are more important than women.
A woman who is raped must forgive her rapist and not report it to the authorities, in order that the rapist, his family, and the church remain protected from outsiders.
Children are to be seen and not heard.
Children need to have their will broken through painful “child-training” and punishment.
A child who is not hit until he or she screams will not learn.
Our church is the only true church; all others churches are filled with Christians who are untrue and destined for hell.
Catholics aren’t Christians. They are idol worshippers.
You are so full of sin God can’t even look at you.
When the Communists take over America and force us to burn all of our Bibles, you’ll need to have memorized it so they can’t take away what is written on your heart.

Those are lies. And they are deeply damaging.
Let me just add: these teaching are PARTICULARLY damaging to girls and women.

When I go through this list, I can nod my head and agree with at least 90% of them. Yes, yes - I learned that. I was taught that. That was certainly the implication of the teachings...

I might add another lie to the list - because it's important to the 'dissonance' thing: God can and does LIE to us to test our faith - when means, ultimately, that the God coc members are taught to love, worship and trust is not, ultimately, reliable.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Struggler

Re: The impact of fundamentalism

Post by Struggler »

Those teachings are simply not of God. Very damaging to everyone, especially young people. I heard many of them, frequently directed at me.

The bit about "god trying send you a message" or "punishing you" was something the hard-core C of C'ers said over and over wasn't true; yet, they functioned as if it were and sure as hell practiced it on others.

In every church I attended during my younger years, although women didn't have any formal leadership positions, the biddies were a power bloc at each. And virtually every biddy I encountered was the same away from church. Ditto for the bubbas. The worst were biddies and bubbas married to each other. A twisted version of a "power couple."
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Well, at least the cofc never taught us that. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I'm offended about Communists burning bibles. The Soviet Union printed and donated Bibles to poor churches in the southern united States back in the 30's. Georgi Malenkov was prime minister of the USSR right after Stalin and he believed in God and wnet to church. In fact when he retired from politics he became a reader in the orthodox church from what I understand made him a lower level deacon. People make us commies out to be horrible people because we shot people who would not obey the laws in the respective countries that fell under our sway.

You need to remember that that good book says that all governments are ordained of god and when you buck that government you are bringing temporal as well as spiritual punishment on yourself. Communists never asked anyone to do anything sinful, maybe things people did not like or agree with neccessarily, but not anything sinful.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:

Unless you are Foy Wallace. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
I met a couple that thought they were,.....Oh wait,..No, those were Elders. My Bad. :shock:
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Good thoughts Agricola. I can't disagree with any of that.
flawed

Post by flawed »

The submissive woman thing uhh makes me nauseous. Several weeks ago my daughter was quizzing me on how my husband and I make decisions. I told her we talk about and make our big decisions together, because we're a team. I was shocked when she told me that her Grandmother (my mother) told her that the man was supposed to make those decisions because he's the head of the house and ultimately the boss. I can't stand that she pushes that crap on my kids!
KLP

Post by KLP »

Sounds like yall need to read that Fascinating Womanhood book. It is available at CofC bookstores and Amazon. I see they have an updated version now. The reviews on Amazon are a treat.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:Sounds like yall need to read that Fascinating Womanhood book. It is available at CofC bookstores and Amazon. I see they have an updated version now. The reviews on Amazon are a treat.
I think I actually read that!!! It didn't work with me. :lol:

Wait. Just looked at the date published.....1982......no, don't think I read that one. Wasn't there a similar book that came out in the early 70s? Trying to remember.....ok, that WAS it......it was originally published in 1963.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~