Things you don't miss about the c of c

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
ena

Re: Things you don't miss about the c of c

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:Thanks a lot for that visual, ena. :lol:
It was funny. Every thing about that girl was fun. She kept her maiden name with a hyphen. She is married today. She is one very smart cookie. She had had a child and told me that she got pregnant in the backseat of a Corvair. That is not much room. You would have to be flexable. We were friends not lovers. Sex is better on a bed. I prefer to sleep after. It is the one time I can relax and let the endorphins wash over me. Women are that way too. The argument is that a horizontal position helps sperms travel. No one wants to stand and jump up and down.

Did you know that aspirin is a birth control pill? One aspirin held firmly between the knees will work. That one is from the 1960's.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

Ivy wrote:
I'm so glad to hear that some cofcs are moving from the 1950s into the 1970s now. :lol:
Hehe! That's about right.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

ena wrote: Women are that way too.
That sounds like mansplaining to me. :lol:

When you're young and full of vinegar, a Corvair might work just fine. :twisted:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:
ena wrote: Women are that way too.
That sounds like mansplaining to me. :lol:

When you're young and full of vinegar, a Corvair might work just fine. :twisted:
You can do it standing. But not recommended. You don't want add the fear of falling to enjoyment. Besides you either need a light woman or a tall one. Not a time for weight lifting. Brings a whole new meaning to hooking up. Don't want to break the hook. Besides you'd come up short. :lol:
tifarmer

Post by tifarmer »

20. Stanzas 1,2, and 4. (Thus the expression "Feeling as neglected as the 3rd verse.") With one exception: the Invitation Song. All verses, even on Sunday night. Gives the guilty more time to think about "coming forward." Gives the preacher more time to gesture and plead with The Sinner. Gives the songleader something useful to do with his hands in public.

And, during the annual week-long Gospel Meeting, many preachers would call for a repeat of the final stanza or two after the songleader completed the six-stanza version of "Just As I Am." Although you wouldn't have found a CoC preacher in the 1950s or 60s who'd admit such a thing, that practice probably came from Billy Graham, who frequently needed an extended period of time to deal with the dozens or even hundreds of responses during his "revivals" (a non-scriptural word WE never used). Needing more time to deal with the masses who responded to The Invitation was, incidentally, never a problem in any CoC I ever attended.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Funny thing about "Just As I Am." All the hymnals I saw as a younger kid had only five of the stanzas. We got a new hymnal, which had all six. Yet, none of the leaders would include the last stanza and always stopped after the fifth verse. I was in college before I heard a C of C sing, "Just As I Am, Thy love unknown...."
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

tifarmer wrote:20. Stanzas 1,2, and 4. (Thus the expression "Feeling as neglected as the 3rd verse.") With one exception: the Invitation Song. All verses, even on Sunday night. Gives the guilty more time to think about "coming forward." Gives the preacher more time to gesture and plead with The Sinner. Gives the songleader something useful to do with his hands in public.

And, during the annual week-long Gospel Meeting, many preachers would call for a repeat of the final stanza or two after the songleader completed the six-stanza version of "Just As I Am." Although you wouldn't have found a CoC preacher in the 1950s or 60s who'd admit such a thing, that practice probably came from Billy Graham, who frequently needed an extended period of time to deal with the dozens or even hundreds of responses during his "revivals" (a non-scriptural word WE never used). Needing more time to deal with the masses who responded to The Invitation was, incidentally, never a problem in any CoC I ever attended.
I was leading singing during a Gospel Meeting with Connie Adams once and I attempted to truncate the invitation song. He interrupted my direction and informed the congregation that we would sing all the stanzas. Then he gave me a thorough tongue-lashing after the service for even attempting to do such a thing.

I've also gotten an earful for using a selection that was not 'familiar enough' during a Gospel Meeting. It was "A Mighty Fortress." The preacher told me he didn't know that song and I ought not use songs except the old standards when visitors were present (and by visitors he meant people from neighboring CoCs).
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Shane, A Might Fortress IS a standard. That was really dumb of that person not to know that.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

Shane R wrote: I was leading singing during a Gospel Meeting with Connie Adams once and I attempted to truncate the invitation song. He interrupted my direction and informed the congregation that we would sing all the stanzas. Then he gave me a thorough tongue-lashing after the service for even attempting to do such a thing.

I've also gotten an earful for using a selection that was not 'familiar enough' during a Gospel Meeting. It was "A Mighty Fortress." The preacher told me he didn't know that song and I ought not use songs except the old standards when visitors were present (and by visitors he meant people from neighboring CoCs).
I never led for Connie Adams, but I led for his son Wilson! He preached at our church in Baytown, TX for a few years. Nearly every time he preached, my wife went home in tears. His specialty is "Where is God When I Hurt" and he does week-long meetings on the subject. "Just As I Am" is his favorite invitation song... more people go forward with that song than any other.

"A Mighty Fortress" -- that newfangled song from the 1500s! That Martin Luther fellow will never do anything of significance.
Opie

Post by Opie »

A few years ago I read that the lady who wrote "Just As I Am", originally wrote it as a song about coming to the table for Holy Communion. Apparently the Baptists and the CoC liked it a lot better as an altar call/invitation song.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)