Things you don't miss about the c of c

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Cootie Brown

Things you don't miss about the c of c

Post by Cootie Brown »

A few of the things I don't miss about the Church of Christ.

1. The atmosphere of fear & intimidation.
2. Being constantly reminded that if I sin I'm going to hell.
3. Being reluctant to express an opinion for fear of being labeled a FALSE TEACHER.
4. Having to keep the elements of the Lords Supper at home just in case making it to service wasn't possible, sickness, bad weather, etc.
5. The intellectual censorship. Being cautioned not to read anything that wasn't written by a member of The Church, so as not to become confused.
6. Wondering why, if Jesus died for my sins, that is was still my responsibility to personally overcome any sin in my life. (I had a lot sin so that was problem)
7. To get a list of "approved" churches where we could worship before leaving on vacation.
8. To be reminded that our denominational friends were good people, but lost all the same.
9. To find out that Elder's meeting were mostly gossip sessions about the members.
10. To wear our Sunday Best clothes as an offering to the Lord. I think Jesus robe was tailored by Armani. Not sure about the Disciples robes probably came from the Salvation Army (No pun intended-snicker) ;)
11. Women being silent in Bible Study and Church. I get nervous when woman are silent. I think they're plotting something big.
12. Worshipping Paul and his inspired writings.
13. Fear that you might be forced to take "The dreaded walk of shame" and then confess your sins to the congregation. Some of who were undoubtedly taking notes for later use.
14. Trying not to smile when someone was baptized and their baptism garments became transparent when they came up out of the water.
15. Discovering clapping was a sin in church. I still can't find that in scripture, it must have been one of those silence of the scriptures things.
16. Discovering Praise Teams were iffy at best, but definitely sinful if they got up on the stage and faced the congregation.
17. Discovering that microphones were sinful if a Praise Team used them. That old slippery slope thing again.
18. That the King James bible was authorized by Jesus personally and therefore was the only scriptural version allowed.
19. That 2 songs and a prayer was the only scriptural way a worship service could begin.
20. That every single solitary verse of a song had to be sung.
21. That salvation requires a 5 step process. So, 4 won't get you to heaven.
22. That the Bible provides a numbered list of requirements for worship & getting saved & staying saved, but they are hidden in the scriptures and it takes a c of c academic to find them and then make the list. I don't think many people got saved before the c of c was "Reinstated" after being dormant for a couple of thousand years.
23. That a child under the age of accountability goes straight to heaven if they die, but the poor old native in Africa that hasn't heard of Jesus will go straight to hell? Let me see now, neither one of them had the opportunity to hear about Jesus and learn the 5 steps to get saved, but one is innocent and the other one isn't. That just doesn't seem fair.
Moogy

Re: Things you don't miss about the c of c

Post by Moogy »

20. This answer tells me you must have been in the wrong branch of the COC. WE always sang the first, second, and final verse! That gives the preacher more time to expound, quote, and misinterpret. :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Moogy wrote:20. This answer tells me you must have been in the wrong branch of the COC. WE always sang the first, second, and final verse! That gives the preacher more time to expound, quote, and misinterpret. :lol:
Our song leader wasn't about to give up even a second of his time on the stage. :geek:
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I remember a member telling the preacher he could preach as long as he wanted, but he was only going to listen for 20 minutes. :D
LaDonna

Post by LaDonna »

I don't miss dressing up and going to church on Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. I wasted a lot of time sitting on a pew because most of that time was spent thinking about anything other than what was being preached at me.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

LaDonna wrote:I don't miss dressing up and going to church on Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. I wasted a lot of time sitting on a pew because most of that time was spent thinking about anything other than what was being preached at me.
How could I forget that? Sunday morning, Sunday night, Monday night Elders & Deacons meetings, Tuesday morning Men's breakfast 6 AM, Wednesday night Bible study/church service, Thursday night home bible study groups. Sunday morning my wife and I would conduct services for an assisted living facility, if I wasn't teaching a Sunday School class & then attend our congregations 10:30 service.

I do not miss any of that. Thanks for reminding me LaDonna.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Panty hose and dresses on Sunday a.m. and p.m. in the summer. Pure evil. :evil:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:A few of the things I don't miss about the Church of Christ.

1. The atmosphere of fear & intimidation.
2. Being constantly reminded that if I sin I'm going to hell.
3. Being reluctant to express an opinion for fear of being labeled a FALSE TEACHER.
4. Having to keep the elements of the Lords Supper at home just in case making it to service wasn't possible, sickness, bad weather, etc. That must have been a regional custom. We never did that.
5. The intellectual censorship. Being cautioned not to read anything that wasn't written by a member of The Church, so as not to become confused.
6. Wondering why, if Jesus died for my sins, that is was still my responsibility to personally overcome any sin in my life. (I had a lot sin so that was problem)
7. To get a list of "approved" churches where we could worship before leaving on vacation.
8. To be reminded that our denominational friends were good people, but lost all the same.
9. To find out that Elder's meeting were mostly gossip sessions about the members.
10. To wear our Sunday Best clothes as an offering to the Lord. I think Jesus robe was tailored by Armani. Not sure about the Disciples robes probably came from the Salvation Army (No pun intended-snicker) ;)
11. Women being silent in Bible Study and Church. I get nervous when woman are silent. I think they're plotting something big.
12. Worshipping Paul and his inspired writings.
13. Fear that you might be forced to take "The dreaded walk of shame" and then confess your sins to the congregation. Some of who were undoubtedly taking notes for later use.
14. Trying not to smile when someone was baptized and their baptism garments became transparent when they came up out of the water.
15. Discovering clapping was a sin in church. I still can't find that in scripture, it must have been one of those silence of the scriptures things.
16. Discovering Praise Teams were iffy at best, but definitely sinful if they got up on the stage and faced the congregation.
17. Discovering that microphones were sinful if a Praise Team used them. That old slippery slope thing again.
18. That the King James bible was authorized by Jesus personally and therefore was the only scriptural version allowed.
19. That 2 songs and a prayer was the only scriptural way a worship service could begin.
20. That every single solitary verse of a song had to be sung. No. Only first, second, and fourth.
21. That salvation requires a 5 step process. So, 4 won't get you to heaven.
22. That the Bible provides a numbered list of requirements for worship & getting saved & staying saved, but they are hidden in the scriptures and it takes a c of c academic to find them and then make the list. I don't think many people got saved before the c of c was "Reinstated" after being dormant for a couple of thousand years.
23. That a child under the age of accountability goes straight to heaven if they die, but the poor old native in Africa that hasn't heard of Jesus will go straight to hell? Let me see now, neither one of them had the opportunity to hear about Jesus and learn the 5 steps to get saved, but one is innocent and the other one isn't. That just doesn't seem fair.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:20. This answer tells me you must have been in the wrong branch of the COC. WE always sang the first, second, and final verse! That gives the preacher more time to expound, quote, and misinterpret. :lol:
HAHA we cross-posted!!!
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Are you guys saying you didn't take the Lord's supper every single Lord's day, come hell or high water, nuclear war, or the Apocalypse? I always heard them bros & sisters in Texas was real liberal, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Are you guys sure you were even in the Church of Christ? :shock: