Things you don't miss about the c of c

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Things you don't miss about the c of c

Post by agricola »

Just saying:
pantyhose are FAR more comfortable and easy to put on/take off than hose and garters.
Really.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I never experienced hose and garters. I vaguely remember my mother wearing that.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I never experienced hose and garters. I vaguely remember my mother wearing that.
Ancient torture devices. Yes, have worn them.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:Just saying:
pantyhose are FAR more comfortable and easy to put on/take off than hose and garters.
Really.
Never wore either. My mother wore a garter belt and hose in the 1950's. In the 1960's it was panty hose. I do remember seeing one legged panty hose. The other side got a hole and you could save money with two one legged ones. Had a good laugh when I saw that one. It was the roommate of a girl friend. They were hanging over the tub drying. :lol:

I did go as a bag lady at a corporate Halloween party. My wife got me a large bra which I stuffed with foam rubber. I was well endowed. I remember brushing my tits across the back of a VP. I wore shorts and let my hairy legs hang down. I had a really cheesy evening gown. It was fun. I had a friend tell me that I was so gross. I had a lot of fun. I had a can of prunes which I would stuff one in my mouth through my mask. I happen to love prunes. Other people would think about what might happen.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Thanks a lot for that visual, ena. :lol:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Pantyhose aren't worn as often these days.

They're expensive to keep buying them and they snag and tear so easily. Of course in the 80s and most of the 90s you wouldn't be caught dead in a church building without wearing a dress and hose. Even on Sunday and Wednesday evening service. I got shamed at Harding when I wore pants and boots to church on a snow/ice day. I wonder if C of C s are still formal or if any of them have more relaxed dress codes nowadays. They need to either change with the times or just die off.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote: I wonder if C of C s are still formal or if any of them have more relaxed dress codes nowadays.
I have no way of knowing; however here's my guess. The younger women are waxing / shaving their legs and wearing modest sleeveless sundresses (with light little jackets for coverage) just to or the knee, having their mani/pedis done, and wearing cute sandals. The older women.....I don't think they're wearing panty hose, but I could be wrong. Probably lightweight pants and blouses with sandals. No mani/pedi.
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:Thanks a lot for that visual, ena. :lol:
I had a good laugh when I saw it. My girlfriend told me her roommate did it that way to save money. I have many fond memories of this one. She was very intelligent. We were competitors for the top grade in Bacteriology. She beat me on the midterm. I believe I beat her on the final because I organized for this test by committing about 200 bacteria names and characteristics to flashcards to memorize them . When people are smarter than you; you do work harder.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

faithfyl wrote:I wonder if C of C s are still formal or if any of them have more relaxed dress codes nowadays. They need to either change with the times or just die off.
I still go to an NI-CoC, and almost no women there, even the older ones, wear dresses or skirts. When they do, younger women don't buy pantyhose. (As a guy, I don't think I would want to wear shoes without socks, so bare feet in shoes baffles me.)

Most of the younger women (and by younger I mean under 50!) wear jeans on Sunday night and Wednesday, and some wear jeans all of the time. Capris are fairly common, also. This congregation may be different because there are so many young people, but most of the older folks don't dress formally, either. Men who lead singing usually have a coat on, and the elders and preacher wear coats and ties. Almost no other men wear coats or ties.

But really, I was required to wear a coat and tie to work 20 years ago, too. It's still in the dress code, but even the company president wears a coat and no tie!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Lerk wrote:
faithfyl wrote:I wonder if C of C s are still formal or if any of them have more relaxed dress codes nowadays. They need to either change with the times or just die off.
I still go to an NI-CoC, and almost no women there, even the older ones, wear dresses or skirts. When they do, younger women don't buy pantyhose. (As a guy, I don't think I would want to wear shoes without socks, so bare feet in shoes baffles me.)

Most of the younger women (and by younger I mean under 50!) wear jeans on Sunday night and Wednesday, and some wear jeans all of the time. Capris are fairly common, also. This congregation may be different because there are so many young people, but most of the older folks don't dress formally, either. Men who lead singing usually have a coat on, and the elders and preacher wear coats and ties. Almost no other men wear coats or ties.

But really, I was required to wear a coat and tie to work 20 years ago, too. It's still in the dress code, but even the company president wears a coat and no tie!
I'm so glad to hear that some cofcs are moving from the 1950s into the 1970s now. :lol: