The lady who axed the piano.......

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

The lady who axed the piano.......

Post by Ivy »

OK, I finally found the story of the lady with the axe......knew I had read it in some of Leroy Garrett's writings. So as far as I know
it is true. :D

h**p://www.leroygarrett.org/restorationreview/ ... &16&5&1974
Luther Norman is a 92 year old preacher. Looking back over 70 years as a minister, he recalled recently in the Firm Foundation of how he made 17.00 for five months of labor with one church back in 1903. He also provides a little history on the organ controversy. Once the instrument was installed in the building in San Marcos, Texas, one sister Driscol, an aged woman, slipped in a window and with a hatchet chopped the organ to pieces. That shows that it takes a woman to get these issues settled! That might be one way to settle the matter these days: smash em! But things could get out of hand if such issues as the Sunday School and women teachers were settled in that manner!

-- Restoration Review Volume 16, Number 5, May 1974

***Leroy Garrett was a gentleman and a scholar, and my DH and I held him in highest regard. We were fortunate enough to hear him speak a few times. If you are interested at all in cofc history, his archives are fascinating. He passed away in 2015. This is a link to his works, which are quite extensive: h**p://www.leroygarrett.org
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
flawed

Re: The lady who axed the piano.......

Post by flawed »

His writings helped me a lot when I was just starting to leave the fold. Such a cool guy, and what an awesome life he lived. His arrest and jail experience from his COC alma mater for being too liberal is one of his best stories I think, really shows you that COC brotherly love they are so well known for :lol:
Ivy

Re: The lady who axed the piano.......

Post by Ivy »

flawed wrote:His writings helped me a lot when I was just starting to leave the fold. Such a cool guy, and what an awesome life he lived. His arrest and jail experience from his COC alma mater for being too liberal is one of his best stories I think, really shows you that COC brotherly love they are so well known for :lol:
I know, flawed.....I love that story!!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~