Survey: alcohol consumption

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

Did you (or your family) drink alcohol while in the COC? What about now?

While in the COC, no one one in my immediate family drank alcohol.
35%
While in the COC, some in my family drank alcohol, but not around church people.
15%
My family drank while in the COC, and the entire church knew about it.
2%
Since leaving the COC, I drink alcohol often.
18%
Since leaving the COC, I drink occasionally.
19%
I still abstain from alcohol for religious reasons.
2%
I still abstain from alcohol for non-religious reasons.
10%
Other, please comment.
No votes

Total votes: 62

Ivy

Re: Survey: alcohol consumption

Post by Ivy »

Lerk wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:If you're a member of the c of C I think you would find it beneficial to be a little bit tipsy when you go to Sunday School and Services. ;) Isn't alcohol suppose to dull the pain? And it could put you to sleep quicker too. Alcohol has lots of benefits if you think about it. 8-)
Funny you should say that. I actually do have a drink (just one) on Sunday morning before church. Not kidding. It's the only time I drink in the morning, and it does help me to be relaxed and in a good mood for what otherwise I might find to be unbearable.
That's true....you really have to jump through a lot of hoops, it seems.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Cootie Brown wrote:The bible doesn't prohibit drinking alcohol, it warns against/prohibits drunkiness. Alcoholic wine was a common beverage/drink in ancient cultures when Jesus supposedly lived on earth. It would have been weird for someone not to drink alcoholic wine in that culture.

The prohibition against drinking alcohol is a man made law relevant mostly to the Christian Faith, and mostly found in conservative versions of Christianity.
Correct. For the CofC its about avoiding "having the appearance of evil"

All the sermons/bible studies about alchohol just didn't stick to me. I've been drinking socially since the tender age of 18 and still haven't admitted to my parents :o
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

kneedeep wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:The bible doesn't prohibit drinking alcohol, it warns against/prohibits drunkiness. Alcoholic wine was a common beverage/drink in ancient cultures when Jesus supposedly lived on earth. It would have been weird for someone not to drink alcoholic wine in that culture.

The prohibition against drinking alcohol is a man made law relevant mostly to the Christian Faith, and mostly found in conservative versions of Christianity.
Correct. For the CofC its about avoiding "having the appearance of evil"

All the sermons/bible studies about alchohol just didn't stick to me. I've been drinking socially since the tender age of 18 and still haven't admitted to my parents :o
Your secret is safe with us, kneedeep. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Ivy wrote:Your secret is safe with us, kneedeep. :D
Appreciated! :lol: