Survey: alcohol consumption

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

Did you (or your family) drink alcohol while in the COC? What about now?

While in the COC, no one one in my immediate family drank alcohol.
35%
While in the COC, some in my family drank alcohol, but not around church people.
15%
My family drank while in the COC, and the entire church knew about it.
2%
Since leaving the COC, I drink alcohol often.
18%
Since leaving the COC, I drink occasionally.
19%
I still abstain from alcohol for religious reasons.
2%
I still abstain from alcohol for non-religious reasons.
10%
Other, please comment.
No votes

Total votes: 62

Moogy

Survey: alcohol consumption

Post by Moogy »

Many COCers drink alcohol, but hide that information from their church friends. What did you experience? Note that you can mark multiple replies if needed.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Cootie Brown

Re: Survey: alcohol consumption

Post by Cootie Brown »

The bible doesn't prohibit drinking alcohol, it warns against/prohibits drunkiness. Alcoholic wine was a common beverage/drink in ancient cultures when Jesus supposedly lived on earth. It would have been weird for someone not to drink alcoholic wine in that culture.

The prohibition against drinking alcohol is a man made law relevant mostly to the Christian Faith, and mostly found in conservative versions of Christianity.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

No one in my immediate family drank, but my mom would occasionally use "cooking wine". Some of the "extended family" would imbibe, however.
Since leaving the church, I will drink alcohol on occasion, but not too much. I've never been drunk.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

A side benefit of not being a member of a church is that you can buy beer at the grocery store or go into a wine & liquor store & not worry about who you might run into or who might see you.

If you're going to a liquor store you don't have to drive around the parking lot first checking out the cars to make sure no one you know is there that might see you & tell the preacher. :lol: :roll:

Ah, freedom it's a wonderful thing.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I don't drink for religious reasons. Islam forbids the drinking of alcoholic beverages. However, I never drank even when a Christian because I just did not like the smell of the stuff.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I didn't grow up drinking alcohol and don'l like the taste, and am on some medications that would make it not wise to do, anyway. Also, my younger son has an alcohol problem and I have seen the trouble it can cause.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

When I lived in a small town in Texas, they had two liquor stores; one on the outskirts east side of town, and one on the west. My cousin there told me that if you see somebody from your church at one store, you just go to the other one. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I don't drink for religious reasons. Islam forbids the drinking of alcoholic beverages. However, I never drank even when a Christian because I just did not like the smell of the stuff.
You don't get any credit for "religious reasons" if you don't like alcohol, BH. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:I don't drink for religious reasons. Islam forbids the drinking of alcoholic beverages. However, I never drank even when a Christian because I just did not like the smell of the stuff.
You don't get any credit for "religious reasons" if you don't like alcohol, BH. :lol:

Har Har Har. Maybe it is good I don't like the smell of it because it makes not wanting to drink it for religious reasons even easier.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

Jesus drank wine. Yeast can be seen with a microscope. It grows buds and multiplies that way. It grows on the skin of grapes. When you crush the grape you infect the juice. It starts fermenting immediately. This was not known until the 1800's. My church taught that Jesus only drank new wine. Even new wine would have some alcohol. New wine would have been unknown in the ancient world. The stories they told as facts were not. This is true of many ideas in the CoC. I have no interest in incorrect stuff. Following is a quote from an article on Louis Pasteur

"Following his fermentation experiments, Pasteur demonstrated that the skin of grapes was the natural source of yeasts, and that sterilized grapes and grape juice never fermented."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur