Survey: alcohol consumption

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

Did you (or your family) drink alcohol while in the COC? What about now?

While in the COC, no one one in my immediate family drank alcohol.
35%
While in the COC, some in my family drank alcohol, but not around church people.
15%
My family drank while in the COC, and the entire church knew about it.
2%
Since leaving the COC, I drink alcohol often.
18%
Since leaving the COC, I drink occasionally.
19%
I still abstain from alcohol for religious reasons.
2%
I still abstain from alcohol for non-religious reasons.
10%
Other, please comment.
No votes

Total votes: 62

Opie

Re: Survey: alcohol consumption

Post by Opie »

Islam is the religion of no alcohol, not Christianity. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner several times a week and consider it a blessing from God.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
KLP

Post by KLP »

Opie wrote:Islam is the religion of no alcohol, not Christianity. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner several times a week and consider it a blessing from God.
No point in resorting to the use of facts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

I don't drink because I don't like the taste. I came from a denomination that celebrated Oktoberfest with plenty of beer at the church building, but I just couldn't take the taste. I do use alcohol in cooking, and I've always thought communion should use wine instead of grape juice.

If I liked alcohol, I would have been fine with drinking wine with dinner and such.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

When this thread popped back up, I thought that Moogy was getting up into our alcohol use again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Wow - my mother was so solidly coc, she wouldn't even have cooking sherry in the house!

Apparently one single drink would turn us into raging alcoholic atheist child abusing serial killers and we'd probably also get a divorce or something. This was confusing.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:Wow - my mother was so solidly coc, she wouldn't even have cooking sherry in the house!
My mom was the same way, agri. Once my dad brought a six pack of beer into the house and I have never seen my mother throw such a hissy fit!!

Needless to say, he never tried that again. :lol:

Ironically, toward the end of his and mom's lives, their doctor recommended that my dad take a little glass of wine in the evening to help him with
some issue that was bothering him (sleep or appetite, I forget; he was into his 90s and pretty healthy). Mom permitted it because the doctor prescribed it. However, she
made sure we knew that the small bottle of wine in the bottom of the fridge was being used strictly for medicinal purposes, by dad only, with a doctor's
recommendation. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

ena wrote:Jesus drank wine. Yeast can be seen with a microscope. It grows buds and multiplies that way. It grows on the skin of grapes. When you crush the grape you infect the juice. It starts fermenting immediately. This was not known until the 1800's. My church taught that Jesus only drank new wine. Even new wine would have some alcohol. New wine would have been unknown in the ancient world. The stories they told as facts were not. This is true of many ideas in the CoC. I have no interest in incorrect stuff. Following is a quote from an article on Louis Pasteur

"Following his fermentation experiments, Pasteur demonstrated that the skin of grapes was the natural source of yeasts, and that sterilized grapes and grape juice never fermented."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur
Actually, "new wine" is completely fermented. Depending upon conditions, it takes between 3 days and 3 weeks for wine to completely ferment. "New wine" is wine that it 20 days old, IOW it's finished fermenting.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Opie wrote:Islam is the religion of no alcohol, not Christianity. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner several times a week and consider it a blessing from God.
Ditto....
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

If you're a member of the c of C I think you would find it beneficial to be a little bit tipsy when you go to Sunday School and Services. ;) Isn't alcohol suppose to dull the pain? And it could put you to sleep quicker too. Alcohol has lots of benefits if you think about it. 8-)
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

Cootie Brown wrote:If you're a member of the c of C I think you would find it beneficial to be a little bit tipsy when you go to Sunday School and Services. ;) Isn't alcohol suppose to dull the pain? And it could put you to sleep quicker too. Alcohol has lots of benefits if you think about it. 8-)
Funny you should say that. I actually do have a drink (just one) on Sunday morning before church. Not kidding. It's the only time I drink in the morning, and it does help me to be relaxed and in a good mood for what otherwise I might find to be unbearable.