CoC Impact

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
planodebbie

CoC Impact

Post by planodebbie »

I like to be positive in my life, so I'll say that my extensive Bible Study was the best part of being a member of the Church of Christ. I took it forward with me and have God's word imprinted on my heart.
Dare to think for yourself.
KLP

Re: CoC Impact

Post by KLP »

Yes, the Bible knowledge is great thing...and not just for answering Jeopardy questions. :lol:

Don't let anyone convince you that your Bible knowledge is flawed, wrong, and completely misguided because they know better. You get to keep that much at least.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
planodebbie

Post by planodebbie »

Very true. And studying was what eventually took me away from the Church of Christ. So kudos to pointing me in the right direction. :-)
Dare to think for yourself.
Mamabear

Post by Mamabear »

planodebbie wrote:Very true. And studying was what eventually took me away from the Church of Christ. So kudos to pointing me in the right direction. :-)
How were you able to look at your Bible knowledge as something positive?

When everything went down in 2017 with my family, I really struggled with maybe there wasn't a God.
My entire life has revolved around Church of Christ, so to break free from any of it feels strange.
I have worked through all of this enough to know that I believe God exists, but I'm not sure about the Bible.
I'm not sure what worship and belief are supposed to look like outside of the Church of Christ.
I'm almost afraid to pick up the Bible and begin studying again, almost as if I'm going to pick up the Bible and find out that I was the one in the wrong throughout all this mess, even though I know I never was.
I'm afraid that I'm going to automatically gravitate towards Church of Christ thinking just because that's what I'm used to, and that part of me wants to rebel and that also scares me.
I'm in this place where it's almost just easier to not do anything and hope that in the end God gives me a pass due to the situation.
Obviously that's an exaggeration but it's kind of what it feels like.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I kept telling myself that I was leaving CofC...not leaving God. And that can be very hard to dissociate God/Salvation/Kingdom from CofC since we have been taught and believed that the one true church is CofC (or the flavor/type CofC we happened to be in). This One True Church thinking is by no means exclusive to CofC. Some even think no-religion is a sort of One True Church in practice it can seem at time. Because being convinced and adamant and absolute about some position is the same no matter what it is. But still, I just kept saying...I am leaving CofC, not leaving God.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I think its kind of fun to know the names of all the sons of Jacob. Plus I almost never lose at Trivial Pursuit on the Bible questions.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.