Repression in the CofC

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
idontgotoFC

Re: Repression in the CofC

Post by idontgotoFC »

SolaDude wrote:(there was always a rumor when I was a kid that CofC people had more mental illness than any other group, and I'm not sure that is not too far off the mark)?
I've read somewhere that belief in a punitive deity has negative consequences in mental and emotional health, and that belief and religious practices toward a loving god were beneficial. I can try to look up the research papers if anyone wants.

It's interesting what you say about mental health in the COC though, personally within my congregation mental issues weren't really talked about. One person was in in-patient therapy for depression, but I kind of got a negative feeling overall about mental health issues from my congregation, even though we prayed about her wellbeing. This would be an interesting topic for psychology/social work research though.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

I've heard from the pulpit that anxiety is lack of faith in God. :roll:

We've had one person receive weeks of in-patient therapy for depression in another state. Hers was to the point of causing her extreme physical pain, which was finally determined to be caused by depression.

I've heard some of the younger moms talk about postpartum depression on Facebook. It was never talked about at church, but they're opening up on social media to spread the word. I'm happy to see them doing that (and sad that they suffered from PPD). I think the younger generation is starting to see the light on many issues.

One middle aged man suffering from depression has mentioned the benefit of medication during a service. I was likewise happy to see him spreading that word. There is definitely a vibe in the coc (and fundamentalist Christianity in general) that depression is a spiritual issue that you need to solve by praying and reading your Bible more, rather than a brain chemistry issue that needs medication along with therapy. And while spiritual things could certainly help depression, I don't think the coc style spirituality will do much good.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Shrubbery wrote:I've heard from the pulpit that anxiety is lack of faith in God. :roll:
There is definitely a vibe in the coc (and fundamentalist Christianity in general) that depression is a spiritual issue that you need to solve by praying and reading your Bible more, rather than a brain chemistry issue that needs medication along with therapy. And while spiritual things could certainly help depression, I don't think the coc style spirituality will do much good.
Defintely! Also I heard one young man say during prayer "we really have nothing to be sad about, because we have Jesus and we thank you Lord for what he has done" Really?! The dude probably meant to sound encouraging, but came across dismissive. I remember sharing some positive quotes from an email list with my da and his response was "thats good but remember to read your bible" :roll:
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

kneedeep wrote: Defintely! Also I heard one young man say during prayer "we really have nothing to be sad about, because we have Jesus and we thank you Lord for what he has done" Really?! The dude probably meant to sound encouraging, but came across dismissive. I remember sharing some positive quotes from an email list with my da and his response was "thats good but remember to read your bible" :roll:
We have nothing to be sad about... Ugh. :roll:

So when my dog dies, I shouldn't be sad, because I'll see him again... Oh wait, no I won't. Dogs don't go to heaven.
So when my parent dies, I shouldn't be sad, because I'll see him/her again... Oh wait, neither of them are members of the coc. Only the coc go to heaven. Sorry, Mom and Dad. Guess I won't see you.
So when I see poverty and abuse in this world, I shouldn't be sad. Those people suffering will stop suffering in heaven... Oh wait, they're not coc either. So they're screwed in both realms.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

Shrubbery wrote:Yeah, the people I confide in are NOT members of the coc. They're friends from outside of church. They are Christians...
Is it possible that they wouldn't confide in people in their own churches, either? I don't know the answer to that, but if I personally would feel more comfortable having an intimate conversation with someone I don't go to church with (and who doesn't know the people I go to church with), it could be that the people I would confide in feel the same. Similar to talking to a friend instead of a family member about things. It's just a lot more likely to remain confidential.