Is the Church of Christ a religious cult?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Re: Is the Church of Christ a religious cult?

Post by faithfyl »

Shane R wrote:The JWs visited a few days ago. I realized that all of these little groups that originated in America in the 19th century are basically the same: CoC, JW, SDA, Mormon. They are all law-based cultish groups that know little or nothing about the Gospel. This isn't as true of the mainline CoC anymore; they'll be Baptist soon if the Baptists ever accept weekly communion.
There were many denominations that sprung from America in the 19th century, it's interesting to study. There are also similarities amongst CoC, JW, Mormon that are striking regardless of the doctrinal differences.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:
Shane R wrote:The JWs visited a few days ago. I realized that all of these little groups that originated in America in the 19th century are basically the same: CoC, JW, SDA, Mormon. They are all law-based cultish groups that know little or nothing about the Gospel. This isn't as true of the mainline CoC anymore; they'll be Baptist soon if the Baptists ever accept weekly communion.
There were many denominations that sprung from America in the 19th century, it's interesting to study. There are also similarities amongst CoC, JW, Mormon that are striking regardless of the doctrinal differences.
At least the cofc didn't require us to knock doors to gain our salvation. We can be thankful for that one thing. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
faithfyl wrote:
At least the cofc didn't require us to knock doors to gain our salvation. We can be thankful for that one thing. :lol:
I was a door knocker. One of the congregations I attended send teams out on door knocking campaigns. :roll: I don’t recall anyone ever opened their door though. Some would look out a window, but they never came to the door. :lol:

We’d leave or packets on the door and go our merry way. I think most of the folks that did that were relieved that nobody came to the door. :lol:
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

My husband and I did door knocking one time. He hated it. I think it is a waste of time.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

FinallyFree wrote:My husband and I did door knocking one time. He hated it. I think it is a waste of time.

Did it once when I was 12. We had students from a School of Preaching come to help promote our Gospel Meeting. Even then, I knew it was weird and awkward.

Some C of C people swear by door-knocking, and think it is the only way to recruit people. I'm with you that it a waste of time.
ena

Post by ena »

Doesn't matter as I don't consider the CoC to be Christian.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I watched some videos of secret Mormon Temple rituals on YouTube. After seeing that stuff, I definitely do NOT think the CofC is a cult!
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I read an article that classified any religious group "cult" status if their members could not walk away from them without being shunned or experiencing other negative consequences. The human element would likely prevent anyone, that was a member of such a group, from labeling them "cults" because that would require them to admit they'd been a member of a cult, and people are reluctant to admit that because it's self Incriminating.

IMO, based on my 27 year association with the Church of Christ, they exhibit too many cultish traits and behaviors to escape being labeled a cult. Methodist, at least as far as I know, don't have web sites dedicated to assisting ex Methodist emotionally recover from the trauma associated with being a Methodist. There is more than one Ex-Church of Christ support site on the net. And I think that speaks volumes about their cultish traits.

If any religious group has support sites, like this one, to help former members deal with the emotional trauma of leaving that group, then I think labeling them cults is fair and deserving, but that is just my opinion.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Cootie, I agree the CofC has cultish tendencies, but I don’t think is a full blown cult like Mormons or Scientology.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:Cootie, I agree the CofC has cultish tendencies, but I don’t think is a full blown cult like Mormons or Scientology.
I can see why you can legitimately make that argument. But...... The Church of Christ clearly indoctrinates their members, questioning their dogma and teachings is strongly discouraged, they use fear to obtain obedience to their dogma, they encourage members not to read religious material not produced by an approved member of the c of C, they have developed their own private education system that is designed to reenforce their dogma & beliefs, their faculty members are required to sign statements of faith and any teaching that falls outside that is grounds for dismissal.

They routinely disfellowship members and other congregations for failing to be scriptural, according to the interpretation of scripture by the group initiating the disfellowshipping procedure. There is no formal appeal process or central authority to settled disputes. They do engage in shunning members, including family members, for scriptural reasons. They teach and believe they are the only true Christians in the world and the Church of Christ is the only real Church of Jesus Christ and the only way to be saved is to be baptized into the only real Church of Jesus Christ that exists on earth.

I don’t see that the Church of Christ is any less of a cult than the LDS or Scientology. I don’t believe Scientology is actually a religion but they are certainly a cult. But, for argument sake, I’ll say the c of C isn’t on the same level as the Mormons or the Scientologist but the differences, IMO, are by small degrees. In the end, IMO, they are all cults and they have the potential to do much psychological and emotional harm to their members.

So much so it takes years and years for former members to recover from their brainwashing. Others, I’m sure, would see some or all of what I’ve posted differently.