Evolution and Creationism

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Evolution and Creationism

Post by agricola »

Feelings and experiences simply ARE, they aren't right or wrong. We aren't (in this area) to dispute that they exist and are real. We can, however - I think - say something like 'that wasn't my experience'. We don't all have exactly the same experiences, and don't feel the same emotions about them.

When I was a teenager, the church brought some famous coc person (don't ask who) who came and gave a weeklong series of lectures on how evolution was wrong and the world was young.
Even at 14 - 15 I knew his arguments had some gaping holes in them. Even and 14-15 I knew enough not to challenge him about them. I'm pretty sure I was attending them because mother wanted it, and if it had been completely up to my dad I could have skipped them.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Shrubbery wrote:There was no ooze pond on earth 13 billion years ago. The universe is believed to be 13.8 billion years old, and earth is a little over 4.5 billion years old. The Milky Way galaxy wasn't even formed 13 billion years ago. So I would have a problem with any school teaching children about a 13 billion year old ooze pond. :)
No one said the ooze pond on Earth was 13 billions years old...just that the ooze pond itself was 13billion yrs old. Tons and tons of things crashed into the stuff that became our current planet or so goes the theory. So are you teaching children that nothing that crashed into earth ever had an ooze pond on it? I thought this was supposed to be about science? :D

Yes, KLP knows the alleged, claimed, and belief system about the various ages and dates. I know for a fact there were 52 objects with ooze on them in the region near where our current galaxy was formed.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

KLP wrote:
Ivy wrote:
KLP wrote:And that is how all this evolution stuff and the ocean soup churning out sea monkeys...
I thought you didn't want anyone disparaging either view.
It was self deprecating since you asked if ooze was the entirety of my understanding...see that is insulting. But I still love you even on St V day (and ash wed)
OK, understood, and I apologize. I suspected you knew a lot more because of the field you work in but the ooze thing seems to be your go-to on here when we're discussing the origins of life and the universe. So maybe we could all learn something new if you'd share more about what you do know instead of always defaulting to the primordial ooze as kind of a joke.

I remember when I concluded I had to stop teaching little kids' Sunday school class because I felt it was wrong for me to teach them about Noah's ark, the 7 day creation, Adam and Eve, etc., as though they were factual accounts.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

The primordial ooze - or, rather, the protoplasmal primordial atomic globule - that's where Pooh-Bah (aka Lord High Everything Else) could trace his exalted ancestry (Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado).

Pooh-Bah:
Don't mention it. I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable. I can't help it.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
flawed

Post by flawed »

So nice of Zeek to drop in and stir the pot.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

flawed wrote:So nice of Zeek to drop in and stir the pot.
For some reason, that reminded me of the virtual particle peeking in and out of the vacuum. Perfect timing. :lol:
flawed

Post by flawed »

Ivy wrote:
For some reason, that reminded me of the virtual particle peeking in and out of the vacuum. Perfect timing. :lol:
:lol:
KLP

Post by KLP »

flawed said "pot" uhuh uhuh
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Zeek snuck in a peek to see what was hot in the pot. Hi zeek!!!!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Zeek, you are like our guardian angel, making sure we're staying on track. We can't see you, but we know you're there, watching over us.