The walk of shame

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: The walk of shame

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:You know, I hate to be a bummer but there are copies of the gospel that do not have the adultery clause in Jesus's speech about divorce and remarrying. There is actually a small group with in the one cup church that does not allow divorce and remarriage for any reason. I think they will accept you if you leave an abusive or cruel spouse and acceot you if you are divorced but will not allow you to remarry under any circumstance.
I think you're right, BH, but I think there are also some NICOC groups that have that same doctrine. No remarriage, period. You can be divorced, as long as you don't remarry ever again. Plus.....in any case, it seems to me that anyone who is remarried, whether "scriptural" or not, gets the side eye from time to time....because you just never know if there was verified adultery. Just because someone claims to have been the victim of an adulterous spouse doesn't necessarily make it true. They are usually not given any major role in the church.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I had a great aunt get disfellowshipped because she claimed her husband was cheating on her and caught him in the act. He of course denied it and the elders believed him not her. She left him and they disfellowshipped her when she remarried. She joined the Methodist Church and all of this occurred years before I was born. I invited her as a young kid to visit for friends day and her then husband both came along. When communion came they took it anyway knowing a lot of the old timers knew who she was and was Methodist now. She was not a mean or arrogant woman, just got to a point in life she knew she was right and just did not give a rat's rectum what they thought. She was there to be my guest along with her husband, they did her wrong, and she had nothing to be sorry for.

I was not around her when her death came. From what I understand she knew the time for death was coming (her illness was terminal) and one of her siblings brought up the disfellowshipment to her telling her she needed to make right with the Lord before she passed. From what I understand she told her sibling to just be quiet. She said she caught her husband in the act and they did not believe her. She always feared God and had nothing to fear from him on that. If she had lied about her first husband cheating she would have reason to repent. She said the CoC made a mistake, not her.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I had a great aunt get disfellowshipped because she claimed her husband was cheating on her and caught him in the act. He of course denied it and the elders believed him not her. She left him and they disfellowshipped her when she remarried. She joined the Methodist Church and all of this occurred years before I was born. I invited her as a young kid to visit for friends day and her then husband both came along. When communion came they took it anyway knowing a lot of the old timers knew who she was and was Methodist now. She was not a mean or arrogant woman, just got to a point in life she knew she was right and just did not give a rat's rectum what they thought. She was there to be my guest along with her husband, they did her wrong, and she had nothing to be sorry for.

I was not around her when her death came. From what I understand she knew the time for death was coming (her illness was terminal) and one of her siblings brought up the disfellowshipment to her telling her she needed to make right with the Lord before she passed. From what I understand she told her sibling to just be quiet. She said she caught her husband in the act and they did not believe her. She always feared God and had nothing to fear from him on that. If she had lied about her first husband cheating she would have reason to repent. She said the CoC made a mistake, not her.
Wow, what an interesting story. Amazing that they didn't believe her. She is lucky they didn't stone her. :evil:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:I had a great aunt get disfellowshipped because she claimed her husband was cheating on her and caught him in the act. He of course denied it and the elders believed him not her. She left him and they disfellowshipped her when she remarried. She joined the Methodist Church and all of this occurred years before I was born. I invited her as a young kid to visit for friends day and her then husband both came along. When communion came they took it anyway knowing a lot of the old timers knew who she was and was Methodist now. She was not a mean or arrogant woman, just got to a point in life she knew she was right and just did not give a rat's rectum what they thought. She was there to be my guest along with her husband, they did her wrong, and she had nothing to be sorry for.

Wow, what an interesting story. Amazing that they didn't believe her. She is lucky they didn't stone her. :evil:
You do not get the truth of a matter unless you know all the particulars. God is aware of this and takes it into consideration. The church is often wrong when it looks at only external things. Many of these things have an internal driving force that it is unaware of. Don't be too quick to judge.