Are There More Words Besides "Ludicrous" or "Absurd"?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Are There More Words Besides "Ludicrous" or "Absurd"?

Post by SolaDude »

The teaching of the CofC that there is no personal relationship discussed in the Bible with God.....there really are no words in English to properly dismiss it.....whether we're speaking of the Old or New Testament, it is just a lie....

But along comes Jesus and starts saying "Father in heaven".....are you kidding me....there is no relationship in that?? Really??
"Our Father who art in heaven"......If YOUR Father is the Father of heaven, then by definition you are a child of heaven...NOW.

Relationship is the most distinguishing teaching of Jesus IMO...returning us TO WHAT WE ONCE HAD....my gosh, my gosh....if there is no relationship, then by my guest in believing God is dead, for there is nothing worse than the "death" of relationship in terms of believing upon anything meaningful or lasting....God may be the God of Israel, the God of Shalom, the God of Jesus Christ, but most of all, thanks be to Him that He is the God of Relationship.....
Ivy

Re: Are There More Words Besides "Ludicrous" or "Absurd"?

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:The teaching of the CofC that there is no personal relationship discussed in the Bible with God.....there really are no words in English to properly dismiss it.....whether we're speaking of the Old or New Testament, it is just a lie....

But along comes Jesus and starts saying "Father in heaven".....are you kidding me....there is no relationship in that?? Really??
"Our Father who art in heaven"......If YOUR Father is the Father of heaven, then by definition you are a child of heaven...NOW.

Relationship is the most distinguishing teaching of Jesus IMO...returning us TO WHAT WE ONCE HAD....my gosh, my gosh....if there is no relationship, then by my guest in believing God is dead, for there is nothing worse than the "death" of relationship in terms of believing upon anything meaningful or lasting....God may be the God of Israel, the God of Shalom, the God of Jesus Christ, but most of all, thanks be to Him that He is the God of Relationship.....
Sola, do you remember they didn't really cotton to the "Lord's Prayer"? And they changed that also...from "thy kingdom come" to "thy kingdom grow".....because "the kingdom had already come". Holy moly they were messing with the scriptures!!! Doesn't it say something in Revelations about that? :shock:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Really Ivy?? Didn't hear that one about thy kingdom come...but I was not in the true church, that is the NI, I was in the lost, more northern, regular CofC (I know I am supposed to say "cofC", but I always thought them to be so hypocritical with this...they always capitalized the "C" in "Church" in the phone book, etc., but I'm probably hellbound for using "CofC")....and yep, Revelation did condemn messing around with itself....but I think the CofC projected that condemnation into the rest of NT scripture, which didn't even exist at the time Revelation was written....I guess it's like a "do what we say, but not what we do" sort of thing...because the more they laud, magnify, and worship scripture, the more they change it to their liking....
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:Really Ivy??
Yes, really!! I kid you not. Maybe some other NI exes can confirm for me.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Ivy wrote:
For real. I was always taught that the prayer was just a model or example and that the part about the kingdom/church was to be in the future. So, once pentecost happened they did not pray that the kingdom come because it did!

Also the part about the bread was about our daily sustenance. Towards the end of my participation in the CoC, I pointed out that the early christians viewed that part about the bread as communing with Christ and Him being the bread and that the people would take some of the bread home after communion so that they could have some "daily" partaking (remember the prayer) of it at home. At that point the rationalization began and of course it was just "custom" and we don't do that today. However, very early on that prayer without alteration about the kingdom was said on Wednesdays and Fridays during the fast of the Christians on those days and also said three times a day as part of their prayer rule or life. I guess those first century Christians didn't get the memo from the NI brethren.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

gordie91 wrote:
Ivy wrote:
For real. I was always taught that the prayer was just a model or example and that the part about the kingdom/church was to be in the future. So, once pentecost happened they did not pray that the kingdom come because it did!

Also the part about the bread was about our daily sustenance. Towards the end of my participation in the CoC, I pointed out that the early christians viewed that part about the bread as communing with Christ and Him being the bread and that the people would take some of the bread home after communion so that they could have some "daily" partaking (remember the prayer) of it at home. At that point the rationalization began and of course it was just "custom" and we don't do that today. However, very early on that prayer without alteration about the kingdom was said on Wednesdays and Fridays during the fast of the Christians on those days and also said three times a day as part of their prayer rule or life. I guess those first century Christians didn't get the memo from the NI brethren.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know...right?

And I guess Jesus didn't have the foresight to word the prayer so that people 2,000 years later wouldn't have to correct the part about the kingdom. Thankfully, he had the cofc to clear that up for him.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Wow, Ivy and Gordie, this is all so shocking....look, I can't even get my eyes to shut now!! :shock:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:Wow, Ivy and Gordie, this is all so shocking....look, I can't even get my eyes to shut now!! :shock:
Sola, we couldn't make this stuff up. :lol:
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Really, they're the church of the black magic marker...highlighting scripture everywhere with it.....
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

gordie91 wrote:For real. I was always taught that the prayer was just a model or example and that the part about the kingdom/church was to be in the future. So, once pentecost happened they did not pray that the kingdom come because it did!
Okaaaay. So the Lord's Prayer was referencing Pentecost. Brilliant, how enlightening. To read and understand scripture at some basic level, you know, requires a thought process which these people obviously just do not have. Your thought process has to be able to function at a level that sees the kingdom here in part presently, but in it's totality later. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive and not really too complicated to apprehend. Scriptures throughout the NT allude to this dichotomy. But, boy, I'm sure glad all those authors got it wrong and they missed the fact that the total kingdom of God came on Pentecost.
Last edited by SolaDude on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.