That Settles It

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
NeverAgain

That Settles It

Post by NeverAgain »

Anyone ever hear this chestnut growing up in the CofC:

"The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it."

Of course, they had made the Bible "say" what they wanted it to say in the familiar-to-us-all, unique, convoluted, twisted CofC style. I always thought this saying was the height of arrogance, and summarized the CofC in a nutshell.
zeek

Re: That Settles It

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMan

Post by GMan »

A very arrogant saying if you ask me.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
sonicrainkrieg42

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

The CoC loves this phrase, because it allows them to justify their dogma in a way that makes them look pious. It also has the added bonus of shutting down critical thinking, "If you question me, that means you question God. You ain't questioning God, are you?".
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
Hope

Post by Hope »

We used to turn that saying around to something similar to what Zeek said, "The Bible says it and that settles it, whether we believe it or not". It was still said with arrogance, however, because we still believed that we all knew exactly what the bible said and anyone outside our church did not.
Opie

Post by Opie »

I've also seen the same phrase on the church sign in front of a Baptist church. Seems they studied the same book, but somehow arrived at a different definition of exactly what "settles it" means!
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
agricola

Post by agricola »

I've seen it on a bumper sticker.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
musicman

Post by musicman »

NeverAgain wrote:Anyone ever hear this chestnut growing up in the CofC:

"The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it."

Of course, they had made the Bible "say" what they wanted it to say in the familiar-to-us-all, unique, convoluted, twisted CofC style. I always thought this saying was the height of arrogance, and summarized the CofC in a nutshell.
I don't recall hearing that during my C o C years.

The comment about making the Bible say what C o C wants it to say is so true. C o C uses the Bible as a weapon against anyone who disagrees with its teaching. It pulls verses completely out of context to support what it wants to believe.
Lev

Post by Lev »

The COC's approach to the Bible comes from a way of thinking called Common Sense Realism, which disregards the inherent difficulty and necessity for expertise in the interpretation of scripture. It assumes that there is one, common-sense interpretation for a given passage of scripture and that anyone who comes to a different conclusion is either dishonest or lazy.

Lev
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

This is one of the many screwed up things with the CoC. They're completely convinced that they have every word of the bible interpreted the right way and it's totally black or white. You're 100% right or 100% wrong and there's no room for any interpretation other than their own. This is why it is impossible to have any kind of debate or discussion with a CoCer. If you don't see things their way they'll immediately dismiss you as "not reading the scripture with an honest heart" or "being hard-hearted". I've always found it funny how they'll cut down other denominations for twisting the scriptures to fit their beliefs, when that is exactly what the CoC does.